nine

It had already been a week since that night. we weren't talking, but you know, I wasn't really blaming him. I found it awkward too. this whole thing was messy. he was too caught up in the moment.

but ever since then, my friends couldn't stop hanging out with Ethan's friend group. everyone seemed so happy to see each other but i was feeling like a total eighth wheel.

"hey, come sit with us!" Noah says across the lobby as we had just gotten out of the elevator. students from my class stared as they got their breakfast, eventually minding their own business afterward.

Aria led the way, giving Noah a side hug first before greeting the rest of the boys. as usual, Mia would do her thing with Grayson as would Isabelle to Alex, while Ethan and I just exchanged weird glances.

I really wish we could just talk about it.

Mia clears her throat, probably noticing the tension. "Let's get breakfast, Cass." she says, grabbing my hand and dragging me over to the buffet. Mia hands me a plate. I say a quick thank you, grabbing some fruit with a tong.

"you've been off for the past week. what's up with you?" she asks, pouring waffle mix into the waffle maker.

I shrugged, setting down the tongs. "I don't know."

she sighs, her shoulders slumping, "you know you can talk to me right. i don't want you to think that just because Grayson and I are like a thing now that you can't open up—"

"no, it's not that." i interrupted. "this has nothing to do with you and Grayson."

she flipped her waffle. "is it about what happened that one night we were in the boys room?" she said, speaking in a lower tone.

"what exactly happened?" i asked, wondering if she had known about the kiss.

"you know..." she leaned in closer to me, "the sex tapes." she whispered.

i laughed, "what? no! i guess I've been kinda out of it lately. maybe im just jet lagged still."

"I can read right through you, Cass. you can either tell me the truth or you can create excuses for yourself for feeling so off." Mia says, taking out her waffle and putting some fruit on her plate, never once making eye contact with me.

I sighed. Hesitation ran through my body. In a way, it was sort of embarrassing to tell someone that I kissed my ex boyfriend when I'm the one that broke up with him in the first place.

"um... well—"

"waffles, yum." Grayson swings an arm over Mia, catching her attention. She smiles at him, asking if he wants one before turning her attention toward me again.

She raises a brow, indicating for me to continue. "maybe some other time." I force a smile. I certainly didn't need Grayson knowing our business.

I grabbed my plate and walked over to sit back at the table. there, only Alex and Ethan sit. everyone else went to get breakfast.

"not hungry?" I asked them, more specifically Alex, since I directed most of my attention towards him.

"nah, I don't eat this stuff. my breakfast consists of protein shakes." Alex replies, shrugging his shoulders.

"huh." Mia sits down next to me, loudly setting down her plate.

"Ethan, I'm gonna need the room tonight." Mia says, sipping her iced coffee.

he raises an eyebrow. "you're just gonna kick me out like that?"

she shrugs. "how else will I get time alone with Grayson?"

"why don't you kick Cass out?" he says, gesturing his hands towards me.

Mia rolls her eyes, "because, she's my best friend and I'm certainly not going to kick her out of the room just so I could spend the night with a boy."

Ethan fakes a pout, "I thought we were friends, Mia."

"Oh, shut it." she says, chuckling in the moment. Grayson sits next to her, sighing.

"Yeah, shut it." he repeats, smiling at his twin brother.

as we ate, my friends were finally having the fun they craved throughout this trip. it made me think that us four wasn't enough to satisfy them when it came to entertainment. they seemed to have needed another group of friends to befriend.

normally id feel fine about it, but being stuck with Ethan all day really tired me out sometimes. especially when i felt the tension.

WHEN IN ROME

"don't have too much fun without me," Mia tells me as she gets ready to leave the room. most nights she's spending the night with Grayson. I guess they're becoming serious now. I really hope he doesn't see this as a summer fling, because one: it isn't summer and two: im pretty sure Mia definitely likes this dude.

I laughed, "oh, i wouldn't dream of it."

she shuts the door, and now im consumed in the quietness yet loudness of Rome. the people above my room were jumping. why on earth would they be jumping. music blasting could be heard from next door. and just outside the sliding door, i could hear people chatting from outside as well as cars and vehicles.

I sat up from the bed, rummaging through my luggage to find my journal. my writing hours throughout this trip were also low. i positively had zero inspiration.

as I sat there, staring at the blank pages, I wondered about all the things on this trip that would be worthy of writing. I want to write of experience. not some made up story. a story. yeah, writing one of those seems like a good idea.

I want people to learn from what I write. a lesson. a moral. well, if anyone is even willing to read what I have to write.

I know that throughout this trip, when in rome, I'll find my story.

END OF CHAPTER NINE

hello girlies