Chapter 21

Judy Evans had no idea why Todd needed Maddie, but he wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. She had been at Kelly's house, so she walked through the backyards to River Road. It was common to walk through people's yards. She hoped Maddie was home or she'd have to start a search party.

The house was quiet. Madelyn was at the hairdresser. Maddie often spent her free time reading. She sighed when she saw Maddie's door closed, because it meant she was home. She could even hear her music playing. Judy thought nothing of opening her door but was not prepared for the sight of a naked boy between her daughter's legs.

"Out!" She hollered. "Madelyn get dressed now!"

Judy turned out of the room and waited downstairs. She heard Drew as he ran down the stairs and just before he disappeared out the door, she called, "Your parents..."

Maddie emerged and Judy snapped. "Your father needs you at the market. We'll talk about this later. Go and hurry!"

Maddie knew enough not to argue with her mother and disappeared. Judy went to the phone and called to tell Marie about her son. Was she naïve to think her daughter was just kissing on the beach? She wasn't stupid enough to think she could stop her now. She dreaded telling Todd, but she couldn't keep secrets from him. She'd need to put her daughter on birth control, because she never wanted her daughter pregnant out of wedlock.

Rose was sitting on Melissa's porch when Nora returned from the ordeal. She told them what had happened, including what she observed between Wendy and Harry.

"I'm not sure why she was living alone, but there was no doubt they love each other."

Rose said, "That poor thing, she was lucky you came along, Nora."

Melissa added, "All summer everyone was so critical and I only saw a sad, lonely woman. I guess she was if she was here away from the husband she loves. I refuse to speculate why."

Rose added, "I'll bet money all those false rumors brought the animal to her door."

Nora agreed. "I'm going to go see her tomorrow. Assuming she even comes back. She should go home with her husband."

Rose said, "If she doesn't return Rick and Todd are going to miss her. She was a hard worker."

Mason appeared as Rose and Nora were leaving. They'd let Melissa fill him in on the events of the day. Walking across the street, Nora whispered, "She had a miscarriage before." Her voice fell off.

Rose patted Nora's back. "It really was good she had you to take care of her."

"I can't believe I misjudged her and my husband."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, you weren't alone. The vultures have been swirling all summer."