Chapter 1 - The Deal

Start from the beginning

The latest artist Dad produced was a failure. I know it. It was hard telling him what I thought of the demo he showed to me, but I’m always honest. The demo just didn’t sound right but he insisted. At the end I was right. No one bought it and when Dad was asked to meet the CEO of Syco, he was shaking. They had warned Dad before and I wasn’t sure if they were going to give him another chance. But here he is, smiling and oh-so-happy.

I’m glad he looks so happy, don’t get me wrong, but something smells funny here. And it’s not the chips.

“So the meeting went great, I assume,” I say picking the first chip and eating it.

“It didn’t at first. They wanted to fire me. They were so angry because the sales of Matter The Most” —this band Dad produced— “weren’t good. But I manage to convince them,” he says with a big smile and I smile back at him.

“So did they assign you to a new artist?” I ask and he makes a sound that doesn’t mean yes, but it doesn’t mean no either. I frown. “Dad?”

“I was telling them that this time it was going to be different. That this time I was really going to make it and they were about to tell me no when someone interrupted us.” That doesn’t sound good, it sounds quite rude if you ask me. “I know, I know, Belle. It’s rude, but it actually helped me. It was this band member of their big hit, you know,” Dad keeps telling me and I frown again.

“One Direction?” I ask and he nods enthusiastically.

“Yes! That one. One of those boys. They are quite young. I thought they were older,” he rambles and that makes me suspicious. “Well, this boy walked in and he didn’t mind that we were in a meeting. In fact, he didn't notice I was there. He just walked in, sat in front of Simon” —the CEO of Syco— “and started talking.”

I arch one eyebrow, wondering why Dad is telling me this, and he knows I don’t follow him so he carries on.

“He actually demanded for a girlfriend.” Dad laughs, probably at my reaction of utter confusion and disbelief. “Yes, my expression was like yours. I only blinked in surprise, and so did Simon. But this boy, Liam, kept talking. He said as he just broke up with his recent girlfriend and they had to go to a premier of their movie, he needed a girlfriend. He couldn’t go alone, what would people think of him? he said. I still couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He didn’t ask for it, he demanded it. I know he’s a rockstar and they are the biggest band right now in the UK, but that boy needs some manners.”

“I agree,” I say because that boy sounds awful. I don’t care how famous he is, no one can’t just storm in a room and demand for a girlfriend. Especially because he doesn’t want to go alone to a premier! What is he? “I think fame got to his head, uh?” I comment still eating chips and Dad laughs.

“I would say the same. Simon couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He told the boy ‘this is a record label, not a brothel, Liam’. The kid didn’t flinch with those words. You know what he said?” I shake my head and he continues. “’But you are supposed to attend all our needs. It’s in the contract, isn’t it? And you want us to look good, don’t you? Get a model or something, I’ll date her for a couple of months as there are a few events coming up. I don’t have time to look for one, so you get someone to find me a hot chick.’”

My surprise is overwhelming. I can’t believe that guy. How can someone be so rude? He not only didn’t mind my Dad was there, he just treated the CEO of the label like a dating service. Oh, that’s just so disrespectful. Good thing I wasn’t there, I would’ve taught some things to that kid.

“I assume that that scene helped you to get Simon distracted,” I venture and Dad makes that sound again.

“Eeeh…” And that sound doesn’t mean something good. “Not exactly.”

“Dad,” I say, almost a warning. “What did you do?”

“Well, that kid left after that, he didn’t even wait for a real answer from Simon and stormed out. Simon apologised, he said that Liam was unrecognisable lately. He used to be such a good kid and he was very sorry for the incident.” That doesn’t answer my question and he knows it. “And Simon was really worried, knowing that if he didn’t get Liam a girlfriend, he was going to just hire a prostitute and leave all the label in a bad place. It was better if he controlled the situation.” I can understand that. “I told him that what that kids needs is a good girl. Someone who can bring him back to the right path, and that’s when the idea hit me.”

I feel a cold shiver going down my spine and a bad feeling nesting in the pit of my guts. Oh Dad, please tell me you didn’t do something stupid.

“I told Simon that you could help that boy! You could pretend to be his girlfriend and if someone can contain him, that’s you, Belle! I told them that if they gave me another chance I would convince you. I told them how wonderful you are, how beautiful, how strong.”

I blink in shock, the chip halfway to my mouth, still pinned with the fork. I swallow hard, trying to process the words Dad has told me. I surely didn’t hear him properly, because there’s no way Dad sold me to date a jerk. And not even dating! Fake dating. I know he’s desperate, but not even him can be that irresponsible.

“Dad, no!” I state after like five minutes. “I won’t do that.”

“Please, Belle. It’s just a couple of months and you just have to pretend to be his girlfriend. I’m sure if Simon gets him any other girl it’s going to be disastrous. You are the only person who could manage that. You manage dozens of kids every day, I’m sure you can with one stuck up rockstar. Please, Belle. Simon said he was going to give me this chance and I’m sure I can make it now. He said I could work with this new girl they signed and she is amazing I showed you her demo. She’s a songwriter, this Ariel girl you liked so much.” A few days ago Dad showed me a demo that a girl sent to Syco. They hired her immediately because one of the members of One Direction highly recommended her. She is amazing, her voice is precious and her song was incredible. I loved her and it would be amazing if Dad could produce her album. “I can work with her if you help me here. I know I’m asking you a lot, but I need you, Belle. Please.”

I shake my head, hurt by what Dad has done. For even thinking about it. It doesn’t matter how desperate he is, he can’t do this to me. I already have a job, I do what I can to help him. This is too much.

“I want to give you the life you deserve, baby girl, and if you help me here I’m sure I’ll make it big this time. This girl is so talented, I can make her even better. To make her the new hit of Syco. Please, Belle, help me.”

I look him in the eyes and I see his desperation, his longing for doing something right. To get back to his feet. I see the lost man I’ve seen for so many years and I know he believes this is his chance. This is actually his last chance. If I don’t accept he’ll get sacked again and if I can do something to stop that from happening, then I have to. It’s just fake dating, right? A couple of months. I’ll just have to stand by his side, smile and pretend to be in love. I can do that. I don’t have to like him, I just have to tolerate him.

I can do this… for my Dad, right?

I sigh heavily, close my eyes to prepare myself. Oh, the things we do for the people we love.

“Fine,” I tell him and he smiles brightly at me. I knew he wanted to ask me something. “But with one condition.”

“Anything,” he breathes out.

“You better produce the best album of the year. Grammy level. Got it?” I demanded and he leaves his stool and comes to hug me tightly.

“I will, Belle. I promise. Thank you!” he says and he better be grateful. I’m practically selling myself for him. “Thank you.” But he’s my father, I would do anything for him so I hug him back. He’s all I have left and I know that if it were the other way around, he wouldn’t even think about it. He would do anything to help me.  “You’re the best, Belle.”

-:-:-

Thank you for all the nice comments and your votes! Remember, updates are weekly.

Dedication to best comment. This week is for @TypicalFangirlx

Bel, xx

PS: follow me on twitter @BelWatson