Chapter Thirty Six

You probably know by now that I am a major in procrastination.

When I look at all your edits, I get a boost of confidence to keep me going, so thank you so much for being the best readers (or sinners HAHA get it?! Did you guys get it??? That wasn't even a pun, what's wrong with me)

________________________________________

Carter's Point of View

Barely ten minutes have passed and I am already drenched in my own sweat. I glance all around, my heart nearly pounding right out of my chest. A moment of defeat had almost taken control, before I put on my-slightly-brave face. I inhaled and exhaled before searching for something, anything that was most definitely not corn. I stood in fear as I had waited and watched the sun fall. So. . . Basically that wasn't the best idea.

"You'd think she would have found a way to outsmart me," A voice suddenly spoke, followed by small laughter. I spun in a circle, wondering where the voice had come from.

"W-Where are you?" I quietly whispered.

"In your head, my dear," He laughed again. "Perhaps you have gone insane."

"Shut up!" I snapped, gripping onto my hair before realizing I actually did look insane.

"Now, that attitude just won't do."

"Oh go fuck yourself!" . . . Did that just come out of my mouth?

I stood in the same spot, waiting for a response. I became weary of the agonizingly long silence.

"I'm warning you. . . Seven days."

Seven days? "Seven days for what?"

I got silence as an answer. Breathing in and out, I tried to calm myself. Ok, this time lets walk through the cornfield. Mustering up the small ounce of courage left in me, I ventured into the tall field. I had no clue where I was heading, but I just kept going straight.

After what felt like hours, I heard something other than those annoying crickets and cicada's. It sounded from above, so I looked up and spotted a helicopter soaring high. It was as if they were taking part of a big search party, shining their light around the field. I thought that this could be my chance to get help. But, all I could think about was Harry. How I wished to be beside him and not stuck alone in a cornfield.

• • •

"Do you understand?"

He didn't respond. Instead he glared up at the ceiling, trying to pry the bloody hands off his neck.

"Answer me!" The voice echoed through the tunnel. The grip on his neck tightened, making it hard for him to breathe. "I won't go through this shit with you again."

He struggled to speak his words, though he couldn't get it out correctly.

"Tongue tied aren't ya?" It chuckled. "No need to speak, I guess. I am your only friend. Lets just forget about her."

• • •

What sounded like a gunshot had disrupted silence for the fourth time. I still had no clue were I was. I've been stuck in this stupid cornfield for hours, probably days, I have no idea. This time, the sky was dark. It was cold and creepy.

I plopped my butt on the ground and rubbed my arms with my hands to try and create some warmth. At first, it got really quiet. But, that didn't last long as I heard the sound of the helicopter again. And in the oddest time, a streak of lightning appeared for a single second. I jumped in fright, quickly standing to my feet.

"Oh Lord," I mumbled, taking a step back. I felt a cold drop of rain land on my forehead, causing me to groan. It must be that my life just hates me. Another streak of lightening flashed not to far away from me. So I did the only thing I think could work best in a situation like this; I ran for my dear life.

In this case, it wasn't my best idea. Before I could fully understand what had happened, I blacked out, the sound of the helicopter and thunder becoming distant.

*

I was woken by muffled sobs. I took all the energy left in my body to open my crusty-nasty sounding, I know-eyelids. A bright light nearly blinded me when I gazed at it. I quickly turned my head and squinted my eyes, trying to refocus my blurry vision. Once I was successful, I spotted my mom sitting on a chair beside the bed, crying her eyes out in a tissue.

"M. . . M-Mom?" I whispered, my voice coming out all rough and cracky. She stopped sobbing and looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Carter, sweetie," She sighed in what looked like relief. "You're awake!"

"W-Where am I?" I looked around the white room, listening to the constant annoying beeping sound coming from my right.

"You're in the hospital," She stated, grabbing a gentle hold of my hand.

"Why?" I questioned, still beyond confused. She glanced down at her lap before hesitantly speaking.

"You um. . . Y-You tried to commit suicide," She answered, looking like she was on the verge of crying again.

"I-I did?" I tried to think of why I would do that, but I could feel a big headache coming on. I placed my free hand on my forehead, groaning in pain.

"The nurse, right," I heard my mom whisper to herself before she stood up to get-wild guess-a nurse. It wasn't long before my mom came back with the nurse.

"Hello, Carter! How are you feeling?" She smiled wide.

"Dandy," I mumbled, gripping onto my head. "My head hurts."

"It will for a while. I'll give you some medication to help it go away, alright? Then-" After that, I kind of tried to block out her high pitched voice. It was quite hard.

"Carter," My mom snapped, shocking both my nurse and I. "Listen to your nurse."

"S-Sorry," I apologized and pretended to listen to her. All I heard was that I'd be out of here by sunday. Eventually, my mom and the nurse left-visiting hours were over-leaving me in my silence. All I could think about was why? Why did I feel the need to kill myself? I had no scars, but I guess that proves nothing.

I couldn't fall asleep. Not when something in the back of my mind was nagging me. What possessed me to end up stuck in a hospital? So many questions that won't be answered anytime soon. I sighed, finally closing my eyes and willing myself to sleep. Everything's just not right.

____________________________________

Author's Note -

Sorry it's short, but oh snap! Carter's mom seems a bit fishy... That woman!

Anywho, I uploaded a story of Harry imagines and I would appreciate it if you would comment on it some ideas I could write? :)

Also!!! I might be sorta close to 10k on Instagram. I mean, I only have 6,000 followers, but that's super close! Could you maybe help me get there? (@/_Makayla_xx) you're probably annoyed by how many times I promote my Instagram account, I'm sorry :( I'm just excited