Chapter Fourteen; After the Fight (Part One)

Alright guys, so, fair warning, this chapter is going to be a little shorter than others, simply because I'm splitting it into two parts! It would have been far too long if I kept them together. Part one is Riley finding out about the fight and part two will be when he talks to Abel about it! I'm uploading the second chapter today as well, back to back with this one, so that you guys still get the whole thing! Here you go!

~Riley*~

I sucked in a breath, glancing back at my watch one last time. I peered down the hallway, rocking on my heels.

Where the hell is Abel?

I finished with the tutoring session almost a half hour ago; he was supposed to wait for me in the library. It's starting to get dark.

He wouldn't have... left without me, right?

I chewed at my lip anxiously and reached into my back pocket, fishing out my phone and checking it for the millionth time. Still no answer.

I pursed my lips and tucked my phone back into my pocket, dragging a hand through my hair. His phone probably died again. I'm willing to bet he's sitting on the ground next to his locker. Kala probably stayed after with him to keep him company too. I couldn't help the smile that began to creep up my cheeks.

I started off towards Abel's locker, practically sprinting. I can't help it. I just can't. He makes me so fucking excited, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I don't know how else to describe it, I just can't wait to spend more time with him.

I rounded the corner, fully and completely expecting to find Abel, sitting on the floor in front of his locker, poking and annoying Kala with a smile on both of their faces.

Instead, I was greeted by screaming.

A lot of screaming.

"-and what the fuck is your problem?" The voice demanded and I furrowed my brows. I know that voice. That's Marlowe's voice. She sounds pissed. I started walking towards the voice, my heart beat quickening. Who was she screaming at? Is she okay? Does she need me to step in-? "Do you have any idea, any idea at all, what you've done here, Carson?!"

I stopped at the door. I sucked in a breath and reached up, pinching the bridge of my nose. What has he done now? Geez, it is truly amazing how much this kid can fuck up when it comes to impressing Marlowe. It's like he's got this thing in his brain that just will not allow him not to do something that will piss her off-

"He doesn't know what he's doing, Marlowe!" Carson yelled back, honestly surprising me. Usually, when he does something that makes her mad and she chastises him, he sort of sits there quietly and takes his punishment. He almost never pushes back, especially not so forcefully. Who are they talking about anyway? Who doesn't know what he's doing? "He's clearly being blackmailed or something-,"

"And how do you know that, huh? Do you have proof?"

There was silence.

Marlowe scoffed. "Yeah, I didn't think so! Why can't you just leave this alone? You have absolutely no right to be butting into their business like this-,"

"I have every right to!" Carson retaliated and I heard a loud bang. I'm guessing Carson hit something. I anxiously tightened my hand on the straps of my backpack. "Just think about it for one second- They've never even spoken to each other before this year, before this semester, and now all of a sudden, this piece of fucking trailer trash has him jumping through hoops-,"

"Do you even realize how stupid you sound right now?" Marlowe interrupted, venom dripping in her voice. "Where he lives has nothing to do with who he is. He's a good kid, have you ever even spoken to him before? Without trying to provoke him when you do it? Did you even stop to think that maybe Riley actually likes him?"