Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

Emma's Point of View

Last Tuesday had just finished their set, and while the next band set up, Annabelle, Zack, and I went back to the back room. Alex, Jack, and Rian were no where to be seen. Suddenly, Norah came rushing into the back room, a girl with her I'd never seen before. The girl was tall, rail-thin, with short blonde hair that ended just past her ears. She had ghost pale skin, and a spattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks. But what was most outstanding about her appearance was a thin, red scar that started just beneath her right eye and trailed down to her chin.

She had on a short dark blue dress with electric blue heels and a tight leather jacket. Norah led the girl over to us, looking exasperated. "Where's Melody?!" Norah practically shouted into Annabelle's face. "She's fine, Norah, she's with Jack. They were right in the front of the crowd for Last Tuesday." I hadn't seen them in the crowd, but I took Annabelle's word for it. Norah seemed to relax, then looked at the girl next to her like she'd suddenly realized she was there.

"Uh, guys, this is Caroline. Caroline, this is Annabelle and Emma," Norah introduced her to us. Caroline waved and said hi. Annabelle and I said hi back. They then told us they were going to try and find Jack and Melody, and we said our goodbyes, then they quickly left. Zack walked up to us next, a Sprite in his hand. "Who was the blonde that was with Norah?" he asked, his eyes flickering between us.

"She's Norah and Melody's friend, Caroline," Annabelle answered him. Zack nodded, then said, "I was instructed by Vinny to ask you guys. Apparently, he thinks she's hott." I laughed, and Annabelle gasped. "Vinny?! Where is he?!" she asked Zack. He pointed to a corner of the room, where Vinny was standing with a couple guys I didn't recognize. He smiled and waved at us.

"Vinny! Get over here!" Annabelle shouted at him. He came over to us, and Annabelle pulled him into a hug. "You come to a show and don't say hi to me?! What's that shit?!" she asked him with a laugh before playfully punching him in the shoulder. Vinny laughed and hugged her again. Then he locked eyes with me. "How ya been, Em?" he asked. My stomach tightened a little, and I said, "Pretty good. Yourself?" Zack must have sensed the tension between us, because he leaned in closer to me. Zack was always so protective of me.

"Same old, same old. Alex treatin' ya good?" I just nodded. Zack cleared his throat, then said, "The girl's name is Caroline, Vinny." With his eyes still on me, Vinny replied, "Really? She's pretty hott." Then he looked to Annabelle. "Think you could get me her number, Belles?" She shoved him. "Do your dirty work yourself, Petrocelli!" They laughed together, but Zack looked at me and mouthed, 'You okay?' I just nodded. He shook his head, like he didn't believe me, then gently took my arm and led me away from Vinny and Annabelle.

"We'll be just a second," he said to them; they barely noticed. When he was satisified we were far enough away from them, he dropped my arm and asked, "Alright, what's going on?" I sighed. "Come on, Emma, I know something's up, and it has to do with Vinny, so spill." I sighed again, then said, "At the beginning of the summer, Vinny and I slept together after one of your guys' shows." I expected him to gasp, or scold me, or at least react somehow, but his face was still blank. That was one of the things I loved about Zack; he didn't judge people, especially his friends.

"It didn't mean anything. I mean, we were both piss drunk. When I woke up the next morning, I left his house without a word. I think he was upset about that. Ever since then, he's been kinda weird around me." Zack sighed. "If Jack found out..." I interrupted, "But he won't. He doesn't need to know anything about my sex life." I felt someone's arms wrap around me from behind. "Are we talking about sex over here?" Alex.

"No," I sighed. "I'm just going to stay out of it, alright Emma?" Zack said before walking away without another word. "What's he talking about?" Alex asked as he turned me around in his arms. "N-nothing." Alex's eyes looked me up and down. "Did I mention that you look wonderfully sexy in that dress?" I grinned, and he leaned in to me and whispered, "But you'd look even better without it." I raised an eyebrow at him, then took his hand and led him away. "Where are we going?" he asked. I didn't reply.