Chapter Sixty-Six

Chapter Sixty-Six

Annabelle's Point of View

"Thanks again, guys, for taking him home," May said as she covered her younger brother with a blanket. Rian and I had taken Jack to his house, where May was with her boyfriend. She helped us bring him in and set him up on the couch, where he promptly passed out. "Any time, May. If he drinks, we always make sure he gets home safe," Rian replied. May looked at both of us and smiled. "And I'm glad for that. You guys are really good friends to him. He's lucky to have you guys."

Rian and I chatted with May and her boyfriend, Luke, for a little while, then said our goodbyes and left. It was silent in the car as Rian drove through the mostly empty nighttime streets. "So, am I taking you home, or someplace else?" He asked when we were stopped at a red light. "I don't know," I answered quietly. He turned his attention away from the windshield and looked at me. "You don't know?" I shook my head. The light turned green and he hit the gas.

He was quiet, but not in an awkward way. He wasn't forcing me to decide right then; if I wanted him to, he'd probably drive around all night. That's how nice of a guy Rian is. After about five minutes he said, "Well, if you really wanted to, you could stay at my place." I turned and smiled at him. "Really?! That'd be so awesome!" Rian grinned. "Good, cause we're only about five minutes away."

"So, this is my room. Kinda boring, but whatever. I have some old sweatpants and a t-shirt you can wear." Rian went over to his dresser and started rifling around for clothes as I looked around the room. Light blue walls, beige carpet, plain furniture...messy, but not terribly so. He had posters covering his walls, and a ton of pictures of himself and Mary Anne taped to his mirror. "Here you are." He turned to me and handed me the clothes. I thanked him, then went to the bathroom down the hall to change.

When I came back, Rian was curled up on the floor. "What are you doing?" I asked him. "You're a guest. You get the bed." I tried to argue with him, to let him have his own bed, but he wouldn't have it. Tired, I crawled into his bed and quickly fell asleep.

Jack's Point of View

Fuck. Alcohol. I'm never drinking again. "How ya feeling, buddy?" I peeled my eyes open to see my sister, May, leaning over me. I groaned and sat up. "That bad, huh?" My head felt like it'd been stabbed with a sword and then lit on fire. I rested my head in my hands and groaned again. "Here, take this," May said as she handed me a glass of water. I chugged it, then thanked her.

"Thinking about never drinking again?" she asked. I nodded. She chuckled softly, then stood up, patted my shoulder, and left the room. I sat there and wallowed in my own self pity for a few minutes until the doorbell rang. I groaned at the sound. "Coming!" I heard May shout, followed by the sound of her footsteps going down the hall. I heard the door open, then May's voice and a guy's.

"Jack, Alex is here!" May shouted to me. "Tell him I'm not home!" I shouted back. "It sure looks like you're home." I looked up to see Alex standing in the doorway. "Hey, Alex," I sighed. He walked into the room and plopped down next to me. "So, May said you're feeling like shit." I nodded. "That's not an excuse not to play Nintendo 64 with me."

"Come on, Alex!" I whined. Alex stood up and started to hook the game up to the TV. "Nope, hungover or not, you're still playing with me." I rolled my eyes. He tossed me a controller and sat back down next to me. "Look, since you're so hungover, I'll let you be Yoshi, alright?" Yoshi was the character we always argued over. I smiled, and he patted me on the back and we started to play.