Chapter Sixty-Four

Chapter Sixty-Four

Annabelle's Point of View

"I cannot believe you actually convinced me to come here tonight." I complained as I adjusted my purse on my shoulder and stomped up the walkway to Matt's house. Jack laughed, then slipped his arm though mine and said, "You didn't really have a choice. Alex and I basically kidnapped you."

He was right; after spending the day with Jack and Alex, goofing around at my house, Matt had called and invited us to a party at his house. I (clearly) didn't want to go, but the guys had begged and begged me to go with them, and Alex had even picked out an outfit for me to wear. He had chosen a black thin-strapped dress that ended just above my knees with a pair of red pumps. I had to admit, the boy had style.

So here I was, walking up to Matt's front door, Jack and Alex on either side of me. Emma was sort of grounded, so she couldn't come out, and Melody was wrapped up in the mess that is Caroline, so she couldn't come, either. I guess Rian and Mary Anne are planning on showing up, though. Jack reached out to open the front door, but before he could open it, it flung open and two half-naked girls came running out, laughing their heads off.

I turned and glared at Alex, who winked in response. "Come on, it'll be fine." He rested his hand on my lower back and guided me into the house. I sighed and stepped through the doorway.

"OhmiGod!" A girl to my left screeched. "Tony just updated his Facebook status! He's single!" The blonde girl next to her screeched, then leaned in closer to look at the first girl's cell phone. "OhmiGod, Karrie, you totally have a chance with him now!" the second girl exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and took a swig of, well, to be honest, I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't taste bad, and it's giving me a pretty good buzz.

I had lost the boys, to no one's surprise, and was alone in the basement, watching people dance and drink and makeout for who knows how long. The two girls next to me on the couch got up and left, thankfully. I kept chugging my drink, and got braver and braver with each drink. Once the cup was drained, I crushed it, then tossed it behind me and got up from the couch.

There was a door in the back of the basement painted a navy blue. Tonight, it was shut, just like every other time I'd seen it. Tipsy, curious, and wobbly on my feet, I headed for that door. The scene behind that door was not what I was expecting.

Turns out, the room was a bedroom, the walls painted a deep red, with one huge window covered by a thick, black, rug-like curtain. There was a bed straight across from the door that had black sheets and blankets. On it, sat two people, a boy and a girl. The boy was shirtless, pale, and had shaggy, dark brown hair. He had a red bandana tied around his forehead, and was only wearing a pair of skinny jeans. He sat crossed legged with an acoustic guitar in his lap.

The girl sat next to him. She was small, pale, and had blonde hair that was almost white. She had large brown eyes, and was wearing a blue tank top with a pair of white jeans and nothing on her feet. She was smoking a cigarette and staring into space. Neither of them had noticed me standing in the doorway. The boy began to strum the guitar, softly, but then gradually louder. Then he began to sing.

"What is love, anyways? Is it flowers after the first date? A phone call, promising I won't be late?

I don't think I can love you, but I sure like you a whole lot. I saw your truth, and I wanted you to stay. For the first time ever, I found comfort.

You always told me, 'Don't worry about love, since it won't last forever. Nothing lasts forever.' And baby, I know you're right, but I can't help but wonder, could you ever love me?"

His voice was sweet sounding, but low, and the song was slow. I felt hypmitized. I loved the words, everything about it. When he finished, I clapped. They both slowly turned and looked at me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to barge in, I just...wow, your song was really good." Blank stares. I took a few steps into the room. "I, um, did you write that yourself?" A slow smile spread onto the guy's face.

"Yeah, actually, I did. It's not finished yet." His voice was like how he sang, slow, every word thought out before he said it, but sweet like honey. Who was this guy? "You liked it, huh?" he asked. "Yeah...yeah, I did." I came all the way into the room and sat on the edge of the bed across from them. For some reason, I felt really comfortable with them. Safe, even. "What's your name?" he asked next. I told him, then he pointed to the girl and said, "This is my girlfriend, Claire, and I'm Michael." Claire nodded at me as she lit another cigarette.

"You write anything?" Michael asked me as he adjusted some strings on his guitar. "Write what, like, songs?" I asked. He nodded. "Well, no, but, I mean, I've never tried to." He grinned. "What about sing?" I must have made a face, because he laughed. "Come on, sing something for us. We won't judge you. I bet you're not as bad as you think you are. No one is." Claire coughed, then said, "Yeah, come on, just sing for us." I sighed, reluctant, but decided to give in.

"Okay, fine. Do you know 'Jasey Rae' by All Time Low?" I asked Michael. He raised an eyebrow. "Of course I do. My little cousin's their manager." Hold on a second. "Wait, Matt's your cousin?" Michael nodded. "How do you know Matt?" Claire asked me. "I'm dating Zack, the bass player. Matt's been sort of my friend since the beginning of summer." Michael laughed. "Yeah, Matt has a lot of 'sort of' friends. Alright, are you ready to sing this, girl?" I nodded, them he began to play.

I sang my heart out, and when I was done and could barely breathe, they both stared at me in awe. "What?" I asked, feeling insecure. "That was amazing," Claire said softly. "Good job, dude," Michael said before he fist bumped me. "You got a good set of lungs, for a small girl like you," he added. I smiled. "Thanks, guys, you're really awesome."

We sat and talked for a few hours, and I decided I really liked both of them. Then Rian came in and told me he was taking the guys home, and asked if I needed a ride. I traded numbers with Claire and Michael, then left with Rian, feeling happy I'd just made two new friends.