Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Annabelle's Point of View

After we ordered, the whole Aunt Marie thing was pretty much forgotten. I was thankful for that, considering I wasn't even sure how I felt about it. I mean, I defiantly think Zack is adorable, and a sweetheart, and I love the way he stares at me when he thinks I don't notice. He makes me feel safe, which I haven't felt in a long time. And there's the fact that he skipped sleeping with his friends to sleep on the floor so I wouldn't wake up alone. I mean really, how many girls could say a boy did that for them?!

But then there's Alex. I glanced over at the table at him, where he was energetically telling a story about something or other. I hadn't really been paying attention, I was so lost in my own thoughts. But Alex was sexy, funny, and a bit of a bad boy. He sort of seemed interested in me, especially after I came back from my house before we left for the diner. He started to drool practically every time he looked at me. I pretended not to notice, but I have to admit, it feels good to be noticed like that every once in awhile.

But am I just reading into things? I mean, honestly, these boys could get any girl they wanted. And it was a fat chance that either of them would want me.

Our food came then, but that didn't stop the boys from talking. I sat quietly and ate, listening to the conversation, but not really being a part of it. The topic mostly seemed to focus on how excited they are for the gig they're playing on Saturday, which was now less than a week away. And I have to admit, I'm pretty excited too. I want to see them play, along with the other bands. Zack poked me suddenly, and I jumped. "Sorry," he said with a chuckle. "You haven't been talking much. Are you okay?" I nodded. "Yeah, just lost in my thoughts." He nodded, and had this look in his eye like he wanted to say something else, but was holding himself back. "What?" I asked. He shook his head. "Nothing." Then he turned back to the guys and re-joined their conversation.

There was also a part of me that was worried about the nightmare I had last night. It was one of the worst that I'd had in a long time, and I knew from experience that I talked in my sleep, sometimes even yelled. What if Zack had heard me? He was lying right there on the floor, for Christ sake! I looked over to him and studied the side of his face. The strong jawline, the curve of his lips, his dark green eyes...I heard someone clear their throat, and I looked up to find Jack watching me stare at Zack, a small smirk on his lips. Shit. Jack totally just caught me checking out Zack. I blushed and ducked my head, embarrassed.

We were finished eating soon after that, and we split the bill, after I had to fight with them for about ten minutes since they wouldn't let me pay since I'm a girl. But I finally won and we paid and left. As we were walking out of the cool diner into the summer heat, Rian, Alex, and Jack walked ahead of me and Zack, leaving us by ourselves. "So, how was your first time at Aunt Marie's?" he asked me quietly as he walked beside me, hands in his pockets. "It was great! I loved it! And you guys were totally right, they've got the best food. I'll defiantly have to come here again with you guys sometime."

He smiled down at me. "Definitely." We continued to walk in silence, my eyes watching Jack and Rian push each other around as Alex answered his phone and stood by the hood of his car. We reached the car and Rian opened my door for me. I slid in and told him thanks, then he slid in next to me and slammed the door. Jack climbed in then and squished me up against Rian and slammed his door. For being a skinny, wiry guy, Jack sure takes up a lot of room. Zack got into the passenger seat next, then turned and faced us. "He's on the phone with Matt. I think Matt wants us to come over and practice for Saturday," Zack said. Jack groaned.

"Matt is such a fucking worrywart! He acts like we never practice and are just gonna show up to the show on Saturday completely unprepared," Jack complained. I tried to think of where I'd heard the name Matt before, then I remembered he was the guy I met when Vinny gave me the flyer at Ephiany's. "Well, you can't blame him for worrying," Rian defended Matt, "He's our manager." Jack put his face in his hands and his elbows on his knees. "I know. I just wish he wouldn't worry so much." Right then, the drivers door opened and Alex slid into his seat and slammed the door.

"Okay, kiddos, here's the deal. Matt is freakin' the fuck out about us not being ready on Saturday, so he wants us to come over to his house and play a few songs for him so he knows we're ready." Jack slumped back against the seat and turned his head and looked out the window. "Sound good?" Alex asked. He looked over his sunglasses at Zack. "Sure, sounds good to me," Zack said to him. Alex looked at Rian next. "Yeah, man, let's head over there," Rian said. Alex looked at Jack next, who was still looking out the window. "Jack," Alex said, sounding impatient. Jack turned his head and looked at him.

"What, Alex?" Jack asked him, sounding annoyed. "Are you okay with--" But Jack cut him off with, "Alex, if this guy is going to be our manager, why can't he just trust us when we say we're ready, and leave it at that?" Alex sighed in a way that made me think they'd been over this before. "Jack, we've known Matt for years. He's one of our best friends. He's just new to this whole managing thing, and he wants everything to be perfect for our first show with him as our official manager. So just humor him a little by coming with us to his house to play a few songs."

Jack sighed in defeat, probably realizing Alex was right. "Alright, fine, Alex, I'll go." A huge grin cut across Alex's face. "Atta boy!" he exclaimed, then smacked Jack on the knee and turned around in his seat and started the car. He looked at me in the rear view mirror. "Annabelle, are you alright with chillin' at Matt's for a few hours while we play?" I smiled. "Sure, it sounds like fun." He grinned again. "Sweet." Then he peeled out of the parking lot.