Chapter 11: A Broken Reflection

Start from the beginning

Petra: "We have to go." she said softly to me.

Me: "No... nononono...no! Don't leave!" I yelled out completely breaking down as I continued to pull myself closer.

Tears continued to run down my eyes as I felt snot running down my nose. I looked up to her shaking my head, pleading for her not to go. I could see tears beginning to form underneath Petra's eyes before she looked over to Gunther, Olou, and Eld and gestured to them to come over to her. They did as they were told and walked over before the four of them walked over to me together. They gathered around me with Petra in front of me. I pushed myself up only for Petra to close the distance between us and help me sit up right before pulling me into a tight hug.

Me: "I don't want any of you to go yet." I told them still crying.

Eld looked over to Gunther as he was becoming teary-eyed before smiling and reaching his hand down to me and rubbed my head.

Eld: "Take care of yourself, kid." he said before he fades away.

I cried out his name but it was too late. Gunther rubbed his eyes as he crouched down to me.

Gunther: "I was really looking forward to that picnic too... next time, ok?" he smiled as he faded away as well.

I only nodded my head fully knowing that there wouldn't be a next time but I wanted to believe. That was when Olou, who was behind me placed his hand on my back.

Olou: "Give the captain our apologies for failing." he said trying to act cool but I could hear him crying as the feeling of his hand faded away.

I only held onto Petra desperately shaking in fear of her disappearing as well. 

Me: "Don't go... Mama..." I called her.

I felt her stiff up as she pulled back from me a bit to look at me allowing me to see the tears running down her face.

Petra: "W-What?" she asked.

Me: "I always thought of you as my real mama. The way you treated me... I felted loved... the way a real mother treats her children." I revealed.

She had a look of disbelief before a sad smile appeared on her face as she placed her hands on the side of my head and pulled me closer to kiss my head.

Petra: "I'm so happy... take care of the Captain for me and don't die. And remember, we'll always be there for you. I love you and the Captain so much." she said before fading away.

I felt my grip of her disappear as I fell face first to the ground. My hands curled up as I began hitting the ground as hard as I can calling out to them. There was silence. I laid there crying as one word continued to fill my mind. Useless. I couldn't save the ones I love or protect anyone. The only time I was able to save anyone was when I was me and not (F/n) but both of them are dead now. 

Me: "...I'm... going to be me and not someone else." I told myself.

(Awake)

I slowly opened my eyes to be greeted with Ymir looking down at me with a worried look on her face. Her left hand was on my face as she ran her thumb across my cheek.

Ymir: "Nightmare?" she asked.

Looking at her, I moved my hand up to my face to feel the tears running down my cheeks. I stayed quiet before reaching up to cup her face with my hand.

Me: "... a dream." I told her.

I watched as her usual smirk appeared on her face as she looked down at me rolling her eyes.