Bitter Candy

Daozhang... I – I... I didn't mean for this to happen to you. You're in the wrong. You have completely no relations in this case, yet you... *laughs mockingly. Well, you always and expected, will do this. will you blame me? I'm to blame, right? Since I've done this.

- Xue Yang

You're but a child, still young. No one's there to guide you and if there is, then they didn't guide you well. Xue Yang... can you please cease all your wrongdoings? If we could meet, if there is, in our next life, I promise... I promise I'll be there to guide you. Xue Yang... poor child...

- Xiao Xingchen

Daozhang... Xue Yang thought as he caressed Xiao Xingchen's cold face. He's dead... only when he's dead he'll listen to me. he thought and bitterly smiled as he balled his fist, where the candy he (XXC) gave him is.

"Just why should we end up like this...?" he asked and silently cried as he knelt beside his (XXC) corpse. "It's already right, peaceful these past years... why should they just have to get in our way?!" he asked, mad, referring to the people around them. "Daozhang, I – " he said and looked at Xiao Xingchen's corpse. "I promise... I promise you'll live again. I - !" he said as he held the Soul Sealing Pouch gently, carefully.

Daozhang... I like you. He whispered before Xiao Xingchen took his last breath.

I wonder if you'll ever remember that in our, if there will, next life?

"Daozhang... daozhang!" a voice called.

Xue Yang opened his eyes when he felt someone tugging at his sleeve.

"Aia... just why is that child going with him?"

"Yes, yes. A drunken old man – "

They all gasped and immediately left when he glared at them. He turned and looked at the blind child still holding his sleeve. "Go away." He told him.

"No - !" the child said, pulling his sleeve tighter. "You saved me before – " he said, referring to the child traffickers attempting to sell this blind child.

"You didn't even see – " he said, then stopped when he saw the child's face. It's blank, but he could see his eyes became misty.

Daozhang... he thought as he stared at the child. He closed his eyes and raised his hand. Is this you punishing me? he thought and opened his eyes.

His hand landed on the child's head, stroking his hair gently. "Alright." He said. "What do you want to do?" he asked.

"Teach me!" the child answered. "Daozhang, teach me - !" he said, smiling brightly as he excitedly held his sleeve.

Even your smile... he thought as he closed his eyes. He smiled bitterly. He's like you... or maybe, this is you? He thought.

"Alright." He said and held the child's hand.

"Hm? Daozhang, what are you doing?" the child asked. "What's this?" he asked as he felt the small round thing in his hand.

"A candy." He answered.

"Why would you give me a candy?" the child asked.

He smiled, a real smile. "All children deserve to eat even just one candy." He told him.

The child nodded and ate it.

"How's it tastes?" he asked.

The child stuck out his tongue. "Bitter!" he answered. "I thought candies are sweet?" he asked, frowning.

He chuckled. "It is." He answered. "But it depends to those who eats it." he said.

The child stared at him.

"It could be bitter even if it's sweet, but – " he said and smiled as he looked at the sky, watching the drifting clouds as white as that man's (XXC) clothes. " – it could be sweet even if it's bitter." He said.

"I don't understand." The child said.

He just laughed and patted the child's head. I wonder, daozhang... he thought. What's the taste of that candy you gave me? he thought as he looked at the candy in his pouch that started to turn black.

Would it be sweet? Or bitter?

(A/N: .... T^T T^T T^T flood of feels... T^T would there be more Xue Yang x Xiao Xingchen? Dunno. XD)