Day 2 (The Visitor)

Start from the beginning

Everyone was quiet while we contemplated our dire situation.

I cleared my throat. "You said we might have to survive on what's in the BUILDING. But Valerie and I might not be agoraphobic. We haven't tried to leave the building yet."

Dad raised his eyebrows. "That's worth knowing."

"I can escort the girls to the exit, if you like," suggested Abigail. "Then we can see how far they can get."

My parents exchanged worrisome glances. I could feel their apprehension, but didn't share it. I was comfortable with Abigail escorting us. With reluctance, my parents accepted her offer.

---------------------------------------------------

My sister and I had no trouble leaving the loft. So at least we knew we were not apartment agoraphobics like our parents. The windowless corridors would have been pitch if not for Abigail's flashlight. We were only a short distance away when Abigail stopped to pick up a firefighter's axe off the ground.

"How did that get there?" I asked Abigail.

"I hid it here before I knocked on your door." I looked at her warily. "Your parents are trusting people. But I think even they would be reluctant to answer the door if they looked through their peephole and saw a woman holding an axe." The axe had a strap that Abigail used to sling it onto her back.

"Why do you carry an axe, other than it makes you look 20% cooler?"

"Self defense. Disasters scare people. Scared people do stupid things. It's good to be prepared."

"Now I want a weapon."

"You can have the next one we come across." It was dark, but I could hear the smile in her voice.

Fortunately, the stairwell had windows, so we didn't need to descend in the dark. We exited into the main floor's hallway and strode into the museum's sun-lit lobby. 

"This place is impressive." marveled Abigail studying the surreal atmosphere of bent walls and intertwined walkways that looked like they were auditioning for an Escher painting. "This is why I moved here. Th—"

Suddenly, Abigail's body stiffened, and she stopped short. "Shhhhh!" she hushed.

My sister and I stood stock-still and listened...

Silence.

"Did you hear that?" she whispered, tilting her head.

"Hear what?" asked Valerie.

I cupped my ear...

More silence.

It was eerie. The City Museum was never quiet. Even when closed, there were usually maintenance people working and noisy construction going on someplace. And, of course, there was always a constant buzz of traffic outside. But not that day. Total silence filled the large room.

"I guess it was nothing," decided Abigail finally.

We soon found ourselves at the locked main entrance. A pane of glass had been shattered, leaving an opening large enough to walk through. We couldn't tell if it was the result of someone breaking in or breaking out. 

"Each of us needs to try leaving the building," reasoned Abigail, looking through the opening with trepidation. "I tried once before and failed. I guess I should try again." Abigail took a tentative step across the threshold. Anxiety instantly seized her. Her breath quickened, her body shook, and her neck veins bulged. She swooned, stumbling back into the building with us. Her knees buckled, and she nearly fell over, but I steadied her in time. As quickly as the anxiety took hold, it fell away.