simply forgettable (1)

03/10/19

~~~

Tucking the tail of my blonde ponytail into my purple knit beanie, I shiver in the fall breeze, waiting patiently for my best friend, Malon, to finish up at her step rehearsal. Her team, the Lady Knights, performs all throughout football season, meaning the frequency of her practices has greatly increased in the past few months or so.

We've had less time to hang out, but I've still supported her through every game as a good best friend should do. While she's out there making crazy rhythms with her other friends, I cheer for her from the stands, tearing my voice to shreds while clapping my hands feverishly.

Our friendship has always been strong, and as long ago as it was, I can still remember the day that we first met. It was in kindergarten, before I'd ended up with my aunt and uncle, on the swings. I was on my swing, clinging to the rusty old chains that held it up with my small hands, pumping my legs back and forth while trying to get it to move. Nothing appeared to be working when a little girl with bright red hair offered to push me. Stunned, I'd accepted her help before letting her have a turn too.

From then on, we were inseparable, and unlike some childhood friendships, we didn't fall apart and crumble when things became tough. We stuck it out, and we continue to stick it out, together.

Shoving my hands deep into my coat pockets, I bounce around a little in place, attempting to keep warm and wishing that I'd gotten some tea before coming here. Inwardly, I hope that Malon won't be too long in heading out. Sometimes she can get distracted when socializing with some of her teammates.

While I seem to have remained stagnant as far as social and physical graces go, Malon's blossomed into someone beautiful, and she has many friends beyond me. While Malon is adored by all who meet her, I'm not hated. I'm just simply forgettable, and that's fine by me.

None of the Lady Knights have exited the building yet, and I find myself growing more impatient by the second, especially when I see that a lot of the guys on our football team have already started piling out of the building.

My breath catches at the back of my throat as I catch sight of Link Finlay, joking around with his best friend, Sheik, and the rest of his football buddies. They're shouting and pushing each other around, and I just roll my eyes slightly, trying to convince myself that I don't care.

But I do care.

I've liked Link Finlay since the eighth grade, and now that I'm in eleventh, things haven't changed as much as I would have expected them to.

I'm still forgettable while Link is as unattainable as the sun.

Instead of going up to him and mustering up the courage to say hello, I admire him from the distance, almost jealous of the other girls on the cheer or step squads that are brave enough to speak to him.

The group of guys head over to where I'm standing by the main exit, but there's no sign of any of the girls on either of the performance teams.

Putting on my headphones, I raise the volume of my music so that I feel as though I'm being slammed over and over again with sound. I really don't care to listen to Link and his buddies discussing girls and the plan for their last big game of the season this Thursday.

A few minutes pass before Malon emerges from the school, easily recognizable because of her bright red ponytail. She waves at me from the steps, and I give a halfhearted wave back, reluctant to take my hands out of my pockets. She bounces down the stairs before joining me at the corner.

I'm lost in my music and thoughts of Link when she calls my name again. "Zel," she says, rolling her eyes when I don't respond immediately. "Zel, we're gonna go get some pizza, right?"