𝐢𝐢. 𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘴

Start from the beginning

After pointing to the sofa, Lucrezia opened the mini-bar. "Would you like to have anything to drink?" She revealed a large collection of Italy's finest wines and of course he wouldn't deny a glass. Or two.

"Only if you drink with me." Luke helped her with the bottle and the glasses, then made himself comfortable next to her. His eyes met hers, causing the corners of his lips to turn upwards, playfully.

His fiancée was beyond beautiful. He had no words to describe the effect she had over him; it was enough for them to be in the same room and he wouldn't be able to take his eyes off her, or focus on anything else. He didn't like to admit it but he was orbiting around her, when it should've been the other way around. However, her breathtaking features weren't the only problematic thing about her, God no. Lucrezia had that solemn royal attitude that would drive any man insane. She didn't even need to say anything, her dignified posture was enough to make a statement. That being said, Luke was more than satisfied with the woman chosen to marry him, but he didn't take the distance between them very well, not when she was an arm's length away from him, yet felt so far at the same time.

Their glasses clinked and whatever wine she chose had just become his favorite. He wondered if she had any idea about how every small gesture of hers is automatically carved in his memory, then replayed over and over again in his head. Probably not.

"The reason for showing up here unannounced is that I wanted to have a talk with you, Lucrezia. We've been engaged for weeks, but we had no time to speak in between four eyes and I find that extremely unpleasant. As I have already told you back in the gardens, I would like to get to know you better, to earn your trust. We are going to spend an eternity together, remember? I'm sure it would make it more bearable for both of us if we wouldn't act like strangers anymore. Besides, if we don't get comfortable with each other, people will notice that, sooner or later, and that means bad publicity for us and for our countries. I seriously doubt you'd want that."

As he spoke, luke gently placed one of his hands over hers and held her gaze. God, what was she doing to him? Ge simply couldn't look away.

"Prince Lucas, I-"

"Luke. I'd rather if you called me Luke," he insisted.

"Luke," she corrected herself, "I understand your concern and I think that you are right. But there is something I'd like to add if I may, something that might clear some things up. This betrothal is beneficial for both of our countries. An alliance with Australia is a great advantage to us and in return, you will be offered the title of King Consort of Italy one day. Although we have no common borders, the influence our countries have together brings us to the top of the Great Powers list. In addition, Australia offers us military and logistics support. These, among many others, were the main reasons why I agreed to this deal, I hope you are very well aware of this. I have no interest in developing a romantic relationship with you, please accept my apologies, but I'm doing this for my country. It is my duty to do so. Yes, I can promise you that I will do my best to trust you, to value and protect your country as if it were my own, because a partnership that isn't based on trust is not going to last for long, but I can't promise that my feelings about this marriage will change."

And that's when he understood. They didn't call her the ice princess for nothing. She was ready to sacrifice herself for Italy, to literally trade her body for power. Smart girl, he thought. But one day, he would melt that cold heart of hers and make her his. He had to.

"As you may have heard, little princess, I'm not the hopeless romantic type either. There is no use to pretend that in front of you. Besides, you've been so honest with me and I really appreciate it, so it's only natural of me to do the same for you. I like my lifestyle, Lucrezia. Actually, I love it and I hope it won't bother you too much. I would never do something to affect your image, please don't ever doubt that, but I won't be able to change much of my behavior either. I'm glad to hear a romantic connection between us isn't on your list because, to be honest, I would hate to break your heart. But since you didn't mention anything about having an intimate relationship, Angel, let me tell you this: there's nothing I'd love more than to hear you say what you want me to do to you, don't be afraid to ask for it. I will soon be your husband, there's nothing uncommon about it."