twenty

Ricky Olson

The paramedics were on their way, and my blood pressure could not go any higher than it already was. My best friend wasn't OK and it was killing me inside. Over a thousand thoughts were running through my head, leaving me speechless. I still sat near him, trying to wake him, but knowing nothing could help. I was hopeless.

Star was walking back and forth since she didn't know how to deal with this situation.

"I'm so sorry, Ricky," She would repeat over and over, but each time with a different meaning.

"Star, please just sit down. The paramedics are going to arrive soon." I told her, pointing to the chair in front of me, gesturing her to sit.

"I'm so scared." She whispered, sitting down. She placed her hands on her face and rubbed her eyes. I couldn't look at Chris when he was this way anymore, it made me feel even more upset.

I then recalled the vile, toxic scent that lingered on his breath. I knew exactly what he had taken at that moment, but I didn't want to mention it to Star just yet. Now really was not the time to do so.

After moments of silence, we finally heard a knock, answering our prayers. I raced toward the door and twisted the handle, opening it. Three paramedics stood there, and two of them flew over to Chris to help him up, while one of them looked over at me.

"Good afternoon, sir. May you please explain to me how all this occurred?" He asked. Star soon followed up to me and stood by my side.

"I wasn't here at the moment that he fainted, so I didn't know this was going to happen to him," I started out. "But I do know what he might've taken to cause it."

"And what was that?" He asked me, tilting his head.

I thought for a moment and wondered if Star would've found out. I decided to take the risk, knowing that it would be worse if I were to tell her later when it'll already be too late.

"I think Chris drank a bit of my Methadone. It was an orange liquid stored in our fridge. I'm positive that he confused it for something else while I was away at work. The reason I have it in the first place is because I'm trying to treat my drug addiction with it, so I hid it in the back of the refrigerator, just so Chris wouldn't try to get it. But he drank it and now this is the result. I think the liquid took over his body since his nerves are really sensitive." I admitted to him. Star looked over at me and I watched as her mouth dropped completely. The paramedic nodded his head and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, kid. Your friend will be OK with us. You two are going to have to come with us to the hospital so you can check up on him when he wakes up."

"Yeah, that'd be ideal, actually." I smiled at him. I turned around faced the two other paramedics who had put Chris in a gurney. He was enveloped in a hospital gown and had a oxygen tank connected to him. They carried him all the way to their ambulance, dragging the gurney in the back.

"C'mon, you two. Let's get in," The paramedic told us. We followed him and locked the house door before leaving, then entering the ambulance. We hopped in from the back and sat down on the seats as we watched them set the brakes on the gurney. I looked over at my best friend, hoping for the best and for him to open his eyes again. It's only been a few hours and I miss him already.

I felt Star place her hand on mine and entwine our fingers together. I smiled at her and kissed her cheek.

"It's going to be OK, Ricky. He's going to be fine. You know Chris is a strong person and will get through all of this." She told me, leaning her head so it was laying on my shoulder.

"Hey, Star. You know how I mentioned the whole Methadone thing with that guy?" I asked randomly, needing her to know why I would bring it up.

"Yeah. Are you really trying to start getting over your addiction?"

"Trying my best to. I will get over it. Again, what happened a few hours ago, that whole scene that happened in the car about me smoking.. I'm hoping that was my last time I ever mention it or smoke."

"Are you serious?" She smiled from ear to ear, embracing me in a tight hug. I took her into my arms and planted a kiss on her neck, smiling as well.

"I'm so happy for you, Ricky." She whispered.

"Thank you for getting me get through this. Thank you for not letting me face this alone. I have really high hopes for us and I know we can manage anything."

"Same here, Ricky, I'm always here if you ever need me.