10. Ruth

This is the year that everything will change with Dylan. It's also the year that New York becomes a reality. Unfortunately, those two things can't quite reconcile in my head.

We serve. We clean. We close. It takes a brutally long time. The entire time, Dylan and I have this heavy electric current between us. I've never cleaned so hard and so fast so we can be alone together.

After all the extras are gone, it's just the three of us. Eoghan, who was seemingly oblivious to the make-out session, holds up a bottle and says, "One for luck?"

Dylan gives me this look like it's my call. We've come this far, so I say, "Oh sure, why not."

We have whiskey and it seems fitting. I could taste it on Dylan tonight and I can't wait to taste it again.

"It's been quite a year," Eoghan says. "Thank you both so much for all that you do. You're the best mates a guy could ask for."

We drink to that.

"What's are your new year's resolutions?" I ask and turn toward Dylan. I'm dying to know.

Naturally, Eoghan goes first though. "I want to settle down a little bit."

I raise my eyebrows. "With a proper girl?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," he says and Dylan laughs at that.

"And you?" I ask Dylan.

He takes a slow, stalling sip of his whiskey. "To go after what I want," he finally answers.

"Same," I say and smile down at my drink.

"Aren't you go-getters," Eoghan replies and finishes off his drink. "Goodnight, lads. Until tomorrow." He heads upstairs and leaves the two us alone. Finally alone.

Dylan reaches out for my glass and I hand it over. Then he reaches out for my hand and I give that to him too. It feels undeniably right.

"Take me home and take me to bed," I request, cutting right to the point. The boy drops a smile on me that makes the angels sing.

We walk, hand-in-hand to his flat in a rush. It's small--a minimalist's dream--and private. At least that's what I noticed when I crossed into it, but once the door clicked shut it wasn't the drapes that had my attention. Dylan spun me around and then went right for my mouth. I've never seen him desperate, but the tremble in his hands told me that he was. He walks me backward until my fanny is pressed against the wall.

He pulls away from my mouth long enough to say, "God, I've wanted you like this. Needed you like this."

Before I can tell him, "Yes, me too," his lips are back on mine and his tongue rushes in with a newfound urgency.

I paw at his clothes, wanting to see every inch of his hard body. He's wearing a simple black v-neck t-shirt. If roles were reversed and I had the strength, I'd rip the thing right in two. He seems reluctant to stop kissing me, but does just enough to get the shirt over his head and blurt out, "Fuck, Ruth."

And then like magnets we're right back together. My top comes off in a blur. My bra gets pulled beneath my breasts and his mouth starts on a journey that ends at my nipples. They're tight and needy and desperate for his attention. He pulls with a little bit of teeth and my head bangs back against the wall.

"You like that? You need that?" And there are more questions. He's so damn chatty and I'm blown away by it, but I don't have the ability to answer because I've been reduced to moans.

I'm caught off guard when he lifts my legs--why am I still wearing these leggings--and wraps them around his waist as he carries me off to his bed, which is no more than a few meters away. He rolls me down onto my back and gives me one more long kiss before standing at the foot of the bed. He looks down at me in what I could only describe as awe.

We're taking a breath and silently acknowledging the moment. But it doesn't last too long because then he's in motion again. First, he removes his shoes and I kick mine off wildly. Then he undoes his belt and the sound of the metal buckle clanking sends a rush of heat down my spine, right to the part of me that I feel the most.

I swallow hard and sit up on my elbows. His jeans come off and I'm shocked to learn that he is a man that goes commando.

And I'm shocked to see all of him.

I'm not prepared for this. Not at all. But somehow, I think I'll manage because lord knows there's a river of heat between my legs and I've been ready for him since 366 days ago.