Chapter 1

November 19 2018

I woke up to my brother in my face, I laughed and gently pushed him away.

" Stop, Parker" I complained in protest " I've got school today.." I said as I got up. I winced since I was absolutely sore from last night.

I looked at Parker who hugged me before leaving the room, making me laugh. I got a text...mom...

Mom😍: I'll be late home tonight, mija , please make dinner tonight and don't fight your stepfather again, Please...Kisses😘

I sighed....you're never home anyways..

I looked under my eye to find a bit of bruising, mouthed a curse word as I touched my bruises.

Two on my thighs and one on my arm, better, I'm actually fighting back this time.

I got dressed and looked out my window, prophets, it doesn't help your stepdad is one...

I ran downstairs and began to walk to school, the occasional prophet whistling at me. I saw a girl talking to a man in a red car, but I ignored it.

I saw Jasmine in her yard waiting for me, " Hola, amiga!" She yelled making me laugh

" Jasmine, I think half the block can hear you.." I stated laughing at her still, she put her arm around me, I winced 

Jasmine looked disappointed, " Your stepdad, wasn't it" She questioned

I nodded she said not another word until we were at school " Soo.. I heard you and Marcos got freaky last summer" she said giving a gentle nudge and a wink.

I shook my head " He wanted to go there, but I freaked out and refused." Jasmine clucked her tongue.

" That Boy is too fine, if y'all need help, Jasmine is always here, boo" she yelled as she walked away, I laughed

I saw the girl from earlier and walked up to her, I held out my hand " I'm  Reign Martinez and welcome to high school freshman." 

I smiled as the first girl shook my hand " I'm Monse, this is Cesar, Jamal, And Ruby " she said pointing at the group of boys next to her.

The short one stepped up to me " Actually the names Ruben, Ruby for short"he said with a smile.

" Well hi, Ruben" I said giggling 

————————-

Cesar offered to take me home but honestly I didn't want to go home.

So he took me to his house, there was a bunch of Santos' staring at me as I walked past but I ignored it.

A tall man walked out, he had a teardrop on his right cheek and the most beautiful brown eyes I've ever seen. He was finnneee.

He walked up to me and my breath quickened, " She's a cute one ,Spooky "  One whispered as he licked his lips. 

Oh that's Spooky, Man he is sexy...

He slowly inspected me with his eyes and rubbed my cheek smearing the makeup I had to cover my bruises. His face changed.

" What's your name, chica?" He questioned as he looked at my bruises.

" Reign.." I whispered so only he can hear and he nodded, he looked in my eyes and saw tears swell up.

" I whispered so only he can hear and he nodded, he looked in my eyes and saw tears swell up

I was terrified, I already got beat last night I don't need that again...

His face softened " Who did this to you?" He whispered softly touching my bruise, making me wince.

I was tired of my stepdad, but I didn't want to start anything, so I stayed silent. 

He whispered the question again just a bit more firm.

I choked out an answer with what courage I had left.....

" My Father" I whispered again, he nodded

" You're Staying with me tonight.." He stated holding my hand and walking me into his house.

I shook my head and pulled back a bit sending Spooky in a bit of shock.

" I don't even know you, Spooky and I'm sorry but my brother is back at home?" I said starting to cry at the thought of my baby brother being beat by his father.

Spooky turned around, he wasn't mad but it was hard to read his face. " How old  is your brother?" He questioned still holding my hand 

" Seven, he just seven, I had to protect him from my father last night, he needs me." I pleaded

Spooky rubbed his face in frustration  " Just call me Oscar, okay?"  I nodded " You can go.." he started making me sigh in relief.

" But I have to come with you, if you ever need help just text me" he finished  as he put his number in my phone

" I will." I said then I remembered, my stepdads a prophet....shit

I tugged on Oscars arm before we reached the door to go back outside. " Oscar..." I whispered 

He turned around and looked me in my eyes, with this look. It was strange, but I liked it. 

"My stepdads a prophet.." I mumbled this is the part where I usually get hit or yelled at. 

I started crying like crazy. I waited 3....2....1...then nothing....nothing happened, Oscar just looked at me.

" Hey Mí Bella, relax okay, I'm not going to hurt you." He said cupping my chin. I nodded.

" Your obviously not affiliated except the fact that he's your dad, but the way he treats you..." Oscars fist balled up " that's not your dad anymore"

I hugged Oscar out of impulse, and quickly backed off " Sorry I didn't mean to be up on you like that, yeah" I stumbled as I made an awkward laugh 

He smiled and sat down on the couch. I shouldn't have hugged him shouldn't I ? 

Then the cutest laugh came from his mouth..

" You got so scared, relax." He said. Then his face turned serious..

" Let's go.."