ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

28 | DRUNK WORDS ARE SOBER THOUGHTS

"are you excited for the party tonight?" brock asks, turning to look at his boyfriend. brian sits up from his laying position, staring at brock with confusion.

"are you drunk right now? i'm never excited to go to parties. i'd much rather stay home and play video games with david and evan," brian smiles, throwing a black leftover pillow at brock's face.

"come on, i'm sure it will be fun. plus, we haven't seen jaren and john in such a long time," brock states, getting up to grab a green jacket from the closet. brian comes up behind him, snaking his arm around his boyfriend's waist.

"we could just stay home though," brian whispers in brock's ear, "just you and me. playing video games all night and spending time with one another."

"stop trying to get out of the party and grab your jacket, idiot," brock huffs, trying to wipe the blush from his own face. he can't help but smile at his boyfriend struggling to slip on his black leather jacket.

"stop looking at me like that then," brian says, pushing open the front door to only be met with the cool air, "who's ready for a banging party?"

🍒

"jaren, you have to go to this party. i am not letting you stay in this house for the rest of your life," craig states, looking over at the boy eye's, which were glued to the television screen.

"i am not going. fuck you and your shitty therapist help," jaren spits out, looking back at the television. craig is about to shout but tyler grabs his shoulder. he walks up to jaren, crouching down in front of him.

"i get that breaking up with someone like that is hard, okay? yet, you're never going to get better if you don't allow yourself to move on from him," tyler says, frowning at jaren's puffy eyes, "you need to find someone new who is actually perfect for you."

"he was perfect for me though. i loved him and he loved me. and despite what you people want to think, i still love him with all my heart," jaren admits, tightening his grip on the side of the seat. he looks over at tyler, a small smile forming on his face.

"jaren, please. you need to get better for me; you need to get better for yourself," tyler begs, giving his boyfriend a look, "just one party, okay? we'll stop annoying you about it after that."

"fine, but i'm getting a milkshake out of this first," jaren spits, grabbing the jacket that john used to wear and wrapping it around his waist. tyler softly smiles, walking towards jaren and craig.

"what kind do you want, jaren?" craig asks, pulling out his phone and contacting the nearest ice cream store. he smiles to himself when the lady says hello and orders a chocolate milkshake for tyler and him to share.

"strawberry. you're my therapist; you're supposed to know what i like and dislike at this point," jaren rolls his eyes, laughing at craig's shocked reaction.

"well played, jaren, well played."

🍒

john doesn't even know why he decided to show up at this party in the first place.

it was a last minute decision. evan had called him and told him that if he wasn't at the party he would have big consequences to pay. john knew exactly what that meant and did not want to risk it again.

he also didn't know that jaren was going to be at this party. the boy had tried to talk to him thirty minutes earlier but john had ran away before he could even make out a word. the pain seemed more present than ever before.

now, he is sitting on a couch, sipping on a cup of fruit punch. he doesn't even notice that someone is talking to him until he feels the light tap on his shoulder.

"hey, are you okay? you seem really sad right now," cameron questions, frowning at the boy. he hates seeing someone like john act like this.

"yea, i'm all good," john says, gesturing for cameron to sit down next to him. cam quickly obliges, blushing at the slight brush of their shoulders.

they end up talking for forty minutes, making stupid jokes and reminiscing on high school. soon, the conversation begins to dry up, leaving an awkward silence to replace it. cam looks at john, taking a deep breath and staring at the boy.

"i've always loved you, john," cameron blurts out, swirling around the putrid liquid in his glass. john has always hated the smell and taste of tequila, but something about jaren made him love it. he guesses that's why it physically hurts to sense the alcohol now.

"you love me?" john asks, catching the other boy off guard. the boy quickly nods his head, a pink tint rushing onto his cheeks.

"well, today's your lucky day. i love you too fitzy," john spits out, cringing at the nickname and lying

cameron gives him a hesitant look and opens his mouth to speak, but john silences the boy with a sharp kiss. the taste of tequila washes onto john's tongue, making him shoot back from the kiss.

"john, please don't tell me you're doing this because of your breakup," cameron whispers, trying to keep his tears in, "i don't want to be a second choice."

coping mechanism, coping mechanism, coping mechanism

"you're never going to be a second choice," john mumbles, throwing his lips back on the boy. he ignores the taste and focuses only making himself feel better. it doesn't matter how many stares he gets and it doesn't matter that he knows jaren is at the same party.

jaren made his choice a week ago. a week ago, jaren decided that he was fine with letting john go and seeing him with another. now john can't help but to revert back to his old ways because that's just who he is.

once a player, always a player.

🍒

song: better off by jeremy zucker