Part IV

We drove for a while. Occasionally stopping for gas or small snacks which Bryan had generously payed for.

He kept the radio playing quietly the whole time so it wasn't an awkward silence.

We drove for at least a day I know that because when we arrived at the 'Welcome to Oklahoma' sign. It was dark.

"Almost there kid. I'm surprised you haven't slept once this entire ride. I almost dozed off a couple times myself." He jokes. I smile weakly.

I tried to sleep. I really did. But it didn't work.

We drove for a little longer before we pulled up outside of a grey building. Lit up. I could smell the stench of beer inside.

"What're we doing here?" I ask quietly.

"Last I checked this was where ol Dallas Winston lived." I gulped and looked back at the building. Then back at Bryan. Was he being serious right now?

Without another word I nodded slowly and grabbed my bag and made my way out of the car. Bryan gave me a salute before he drove off leaving me alone once again.

The air was colder than in the car and I shivered. I made my way up to the door. I knocked softly. Might as well see if Bryan was right.

I heard music blaring from inside and I figured whoever was inside couldn't hear. So I knocked louder.

Suddenly a tall man came to the door. Drunk out of his mind. He stood swaying at the door. His shirt was halfway unbuttoned.

This can't be Dallas.

"U-uh hi. Um does a Dallas Winston live here?" I ask quietly. The man thinks for a minute.

"He's busy." He says.

"So he does live here? Can you get him to come out for me? This is kind of important." I tell him.

He rolls his eyes and shuts the door. For a second I thought he was telling me to go away. Until I looked in through the window and saw him come back shortly, a blonde in tow.

Now that looked more like my brother. I recognized that elvish face and white blonde hair anywhere.

I go back to the door and was greeted by the blonde, shirtless and groggy rubbing his eyes. He had a bandage around his left wrist and a few scars over his bare torso.

"What do ya want?" He asks. His voice had a faint New York accent and my heart jumped. Is this actually him?

"U-uh. Hi. Dallas?" I ask.

"Who wants ta know?" He asks.

"Me. I'm uh, Vixen Winston." His eyes go wide slightly before they're back to a cold stare. He looked just like dad. And that made me shudder.

He pulled me inside and pushed me past the crowd of drunken people and up the stairs.

We got to a room and he closed and locked the door. I gulped slightly.

"How the hell are you Vixen, she's back in New York probably dead. Nobody knows about her so how do you?" He asks.

"I-i am Vixen." I reply shakily.

"Yeah right. Old man probably beat her to death. Besides, Vixen is 15 by now. Can't drive all the way from New York to Tulsa. Can't get a train by herself."

"Someone drove me." I reply.

"Oh yeah? Who? The old man huh? Listen chick, quit messing with me. Who the hell are you really?"

"No it's me. Dallas please believe me. I don't wanna be alone again." I start crying slightly and I violently try to wipe my eyes but nothing helped.

"Quit crying broad. What do you want from me."

"Dad kicked me out. I need s-somewhere to stay. Please help me Dallas." I tell him.

"How long are you gonna pretend to be my sister for?" He asks.

"I'm not pretending and I can prove it." Dally a eyebrow cocks slightly.

"How."

"U-uh. Summer 1960. You got hauled in to the police station for stealing me a teddy bear." Then I rummage through my bag and pull out the bear Dallas had stole for me.

It was missing an eye and the fur was tattered. But it almost looked the same. Dallas slowly took it in his hands.

"Vixen? It's really you? No mind tricks huh?" I shake my head no and next thing I know I'm being sucked into a big bear hug from Dallas.

I felt him somewhat sobbing on my shoulder but it sounded as if he was trying to hold back.

"You're alive. You're actually alive. Look at you. All grown up." He pulls away and cups my cheeks with his large hand.

I notice he had tears welling up. But he smiles slightly at me.

"Oh Vix. You have no idea how badly I've missed you." He pulls me in for another hug.

"Then why'd you leave?" I ask quietly into his shoulder. He pulls away again.

"Oh Vixen. I didn't mean it. I'm so sorry I left you with that bastard. Who knows what he did when I was gone."

I look down shamefully. He doesn't even wanna know half of it. It seems like the old man beat me worse after Dallas left.

"He threw me out Dally." I started crying.

"I thought I was dead. I didn't eat or sleep for days. Then this man took me in and let me stay at his brothers house. They fed me and let me bathe. Real nice people Dally." I sniff wiping my eyes.

Dally smiles wiping a tear as well.

"You're safe." He mumbles. I nod slowly.

"Don't leave me again. Please."

"Baby I won't. I swear to you. I'm so sorry I left but I had to baby." I nod slowly indicating that I understood. I just wanted to sit here instead of talk.

My head was hurting from crying and my arms hurt slightly from the bruises.

"C-can I stay here with you?" I ask. Dally nods slowly putting his chin on my head. He pulls me in his lap and I cuddle into his chest.

For the first time ever, I was actually able to close my eyes and go to sleep.

Finally with my brother again.