Shaking Fever

Low chuckling filled the closet as he fully stepped out and reached out the hand yet again to give me a greeting.

"Hi, Eli!", he casually said, waiting for me to shake his hand. 

Before I had the time to even open my mouth to scold him, I heard footsteps coming from the stairs outside of my room. My eyes grew big and I automatically pushed Jeff back into the closet and closed the door. My mom seemingly worried gave me a questioning look when the door opened, giving a hint to what she was about to say.

"What was that screaming about?".

I stood there, trying to come up with a better phrase than "A dude who kidnapped me and whom I met yesterday is in my closet right now as we speak". 

I shook my head and looked down, eyes stuck to my feet, heart racing.

"I accidentally caught a splinter. It really hurt but I'm fine now".

Mom still looked skeptical but gave me a shrug. 

Fuck, I just want her to leave, she's making me nervous.

"I was about to put some clothes on, can you please leave?", I promptly asked.

She lifted her hands up in defense before leaving while mouthing out the word "sorry". A relieved sigh left my lips as I looked back at the closet and reopened it. I opened my mouth but Jeff was quicker.

"Was that your mom?", he asked curiously. 

I quickly put my hands over his mouth.

"Shut up and stop talking! Do you want her to go check on me again to find YOU here?", I lowly hissed. 

I started feeling a certain panic coming in from the shock of someone else who I was not close to for the matter was in my house. I had no idea how he even entered my home unnoticed, which sends chills down my spine, honestly. Especially without my mom noticing. I was kind of shaking as I held both my hands over his mouth.

At some point, I felt a certain texture I couldn't seem to recognize. I removed my palms and locked my eyes at him, only to reveal a glimpse of his face. It was so pale like he hadn't been out for years. He looked dead, rotting. I also got to understand what the texture was all about. It appeared he had really deep scars at each corner of his mouth, looking like a typical joker smile. It even looked somewhat infected. I cocked my head to the side.

"W-what happened?", I asked suspiciously, with a tone of worry in my voice. 

He just stood there, not saying anything. I just stood there confused while I kept looking at the scars. I was thinking of asking him how long they'd been there but he didn't even want to answer what'd happened. Maybe it wasn't something he'd want to talk about? Then the thought hit me of yesterday when he got mad at me for wanting to see his face. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut, for now. 

"It looks infected, I thought maybe if you want me to put some disinfect-"

"No need to", he mumbled out. 

It seemed to hurt from my point of view, especially when he started talking and I witnessed how it moved alongside the mouth. It was a pretty horrific sight, to say the least. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried though?

"Are you sure?", I asked and he responded with a simple nod. 

Things got kind of awkward as Jeff's mood dropped from a 100 to a 0 while I didn't really have anything to say.

"You're shaking real badly", he mentioned and pointed at me.

I stretched out my hands for me to view and oh yeah, was he right about that. I don't even have anxious thoughts racing through my head, I just felt like I needed to sit down and catch my breath.