Chapter 4: No Interference

Chapter Four

No interference

Tucker Westmore (boy number sixteen) has never felt so useless before in his life. Beside him, Reid Parsons (boy number twenty) is suffering yet another panic attack, no doubt from the waking nightmare of not being able to save Vivian Khan (deceased) and Tucker can do nothing to stop it.

Jayson Verne (boy number eleven) sits awkward, resting one of his thick hands on Reid's shoulder. Jayson's freckled face is twisted in a bit of a grimace as he is once again on "Reid duty". Seth Jordan (boy number fifteen) is chatting with Nora Ward (girl number twenty three) by the edge of the water, both of them looking out at the crashing waves in the distance. Tucker glances at Reid from the corner of his eye, trying not to focus on the wild look in Reid's eyes or the way his chest bloats like a balloon and then caves in as it were trying to disappear. Jayson, lifting the side of his mouth in a half smile, says: "Looks like the worst of it is over."

Tucker smiles as well, although his comes more from obligation than relief.

Beau York (boy number seventeen) is staring at the ocean himself, but he is alone at least forty feet away. His pants are rolled up to the knees and his bare feet are submerged in water and sand up to his ankles. His arms are extended back, letting the wind collide with him, and he looks like he's out of a scene from Titanic.

Tranquil. Tucker wishes he had that sort of optimism.

The last of their group, Dawson Brenner (boy number twenty five) looks even more petrified than Reid. Sitting in the sand, he has this dead look in his eyes, focused on everything and nothing. Perhaps because he's seen what they actually did to Vivian Khan in the school, Tucker thinks. He hasn't really discussed it with them and other than saying those three words ("they killed her") he's barely said anything else. He's just followed them blindly and when they stopped here, at the shore, he took a seat where he stood and stared into the distance, as if looking for some answers. Tucker wonders if the kid is too far gone to come back. He worries about it.

Seth and Nora walk up to the others, struggling against the sand. Tucker has known Seth long enough to recognize the discomfort on his face. He's giving Tucker that same look he gave when he told his teammates that the rival team stole their tiger mascot suit and hung it on a flagpole. It's full of apprehension, but also excitable, as if he's found both the problem and the solution. He then stands over Dawson, his shadow wide, engulfing half of Dawson's features into darkness. Dawson seemingly awakens from his daze, lifts his head and squints against the sun. "Where did that blood come from?" Seth asks quickly, pointing at Dawson's hand.

"Huh?" Dawson asks.

"The blood," Nora says slowly.

Tucker realizes that this must have been what they were discussing at the water. He stands quickly, pressing his palm calmly against Seth's chest. "Hey, dude," The only two words Tucker needs to warn off his friend. Seth passes Tucker's hand, his face a shade redder than usual, a strained finger pointing in Dawson's face.

"Where did that blood come from?" Seth asks again.

"Blood?" Dawson seems to register this suddenly, lifting his hand and turning it over. The blood is dry now, coated with a layer of sand. He shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders. "I-I don't--"

"Wait, you can't think that he--" Tucker starts.

"I didn't, at first, but Nora made a good point." Seth says. Seth, who is one of the shortest of their group at five eight, is a wide receiver on their team and a wide receiver in their circle of friends. He tries to keep the malice out of their group. He's the shield between their group and the drama that threatens to penetrate it.