eighteen

Olivia

Waking up to my horrible alarm was one thing. But waking up to my fathers face with a plate of pancakes might just be even worse.

"I wanted to make you some breakfast. Your mother told me you don't usually eat in the mornings and if you do it's something small." He holds the plate out further to me. "Breakfast is very important you know."

My Mother is rarely here in the mornings to know what I do so that makes no sense. Why is he even still here? Did he sleepover? It's too early in the morning for me to be this confused.

I slowly-very slowly- rise into a sitting position on my bed. My eyes are barely open as I grasp the plate from him.

"They're plain. Just like you like em." He smiles, probably proud of the fact that he remembered this small fact. His smile is too big and too bright for this time of day.

"Thanks" I barely mumble because I'm still trying to wake up.

"Of course. And don't worry I will bring Josh to school, so you can just take your time getting ready." He begins to turn towards the door. There's a pancake half way in my mouth so I just respond by nodding. When he finally exits the room I glance over to my phone.

Holy shit, it's an entire 30 minutes before my alarm goes off. I try to be thankful for his generosity, but still whimper at the loss of sleep.

It really dawns on me mid chew that my father is really here in this house making an effort to be in my life. Not knowing how to feel, I just keep on eating my dry pancakes. I usually prefer my pancakes with absolutely nothing on them because I just have traumatic experiences with syrup and they're better this way so what's the point in tainting the flavor with the gross stickiness. Some orange juice would've been nice though, Dad.

When I get to school, I'm not sure how to act. Do I text Miles and walk to class with him or do I just act like any other day and wait for him to show interest in speaking to me. I decide not to bother him considering he is not really a morning person and I'm not trying to start my day off badly.

Ethan, however, is a completely sane person in the mornings.

hey. you in school yet?

I'm actually quite early today because of the extra time I had. Ethan doesn't reply for a couple minutes, which left me wandering past rows and rows of bright red lockers.

Yeah, we are chilling in the senior lounge.

We. I read, and giddily smile while walking a little faster.

Sorry, no Juniors allowed tho.

He sends quickly after. I chuckle and continue walking towards the lounge. Actual Seniors barely go in there anyways.

too bad, im coming

When I arrive at the lounge that is not really even a lounge, but more so just an open area in the corner of school with a couple of couches and a coffee table, I immediately spot the two boys. Miles and Ethan are the only ones there and they're both sitting on opposite sides of the coffee table.

See, this is where it gets weird. Am I supposed to sit next to Miles or no? I try to read him quickly before I get too close but he doesn't make eye contact with me. What the hell? I look nice today, I deserve at least a glance.

Whatever, I sit directly next to Ethan.

"You look good today Liv," Ethan says to me, which makes Miles look up at my presence. Bout time.