Two

2005

Years had passed since that very day they met. Y/N and Diana had become more like family, allowing one to confide in the other during her fits like a mother and daughter would. Occasionally, on rainy days filled with thunder and lightning, Diana would come and read to her in bed as she shook and trembled. She'd attempt to steady her breathing as she sat next to her in bed and calmed her down. Most days, they'd convince each other to get out of bed and get food downstairs or possibly go and read together.

Today wasn't like most days.

Usually Diana would receive a letter from her son, Spencer. He'd talk about his days at the BAU and his job as an FBI profiler. She'd read them to Y/N like a sister would be interested about her older brother. However, today, Diana didnt get a letter from Reid. Today she had the person— flesh and blood— in her presence.

Y/N watched him walk in with his hands in his pockets, giving him a calm look. She rested her hand on Diana's as it shook, not knowing who he was until the older woman looked up herself. Diana let out a quiet, happy whisper as she smiled.

"Spencer.."

He walked over and hugged his mother, sitting in front of her as he stared at the girl. He stuck out his hand as she attempted to stretch out her trembling one.

"I-I-I-I'm Y-y-y-y-y-/n. S-sorry, i-i-its not y-y-y-you."

Spencer shook her hand and smiled, still confused. Diana could see the looks being exchanged between the two and interjected.

"Y/N, this is my son, Spencer, as you know. Spencer, this is Y/N, she lives here. She keeps me company."
"Well, I'm glad to see you've got someone to while I'm not here. Its a pleasure to meet you."
"Y-you too." Y/N replied her breathing easing.
"I hope you dont mind me asking, but.. you're young? What are you doing in a place like this?"
"I-I'm pretty sure i-its obvious. S-severe anxiety d-d-disorder. I-I've heard s-s-so much about you a-and your team."

The conversation went from there. He would occasionally spill facts as she eased into his presence, his voice light with happiness. Her stutter seemed to deplete as he talked with him mom, laughing with them as they chatted. He stayed the rest of the day, mentioning that tomorrow he'd be working a case. It came to be night when he began to walk the two to their rooms. His mother's was on the way to her own, dropping her off like Y/N would usually do. Walking alone, Spencer looked over at Y/N and struck conversation.

"So... how long have you been here? A year? Few months..?"
"12 years."

He obviously was in shock before regaining composure, a smile tugging at the corner of the girl's mouth.

"That makes sense. This place obviously had relaxed you where you seem at home. You dont seem out of place here."
"Wow, you really are a profiler." She laughed, crossing her arms.
"So.. since you were ten?"
"Foster parents put me here. I haven't left since."
"You've never been outside?"
"They've tried, but I-I... I dont like it outside. T-too many unpredictable v-variables."
"Hm, thats quite a shame. The world's beautiful if you let yourself see it that way."
"Pictures are all i need. I-I'm as terrified as it is of the sound of rain and thunder. i dont need to be out there to agitate myself more."
"Well, these kinds of things dont happen on their own... If you dont mind me ask-"
"Lets make a deal." She said, cutting him off in front of her door.
He tilted his head and nodded. The girl took her phone out of her pocket and handed it to him.
"Put your number in. I'll be here, you'll be in Virginia. You ask me whatever you want, whenever you want but I get to ask you questions too. I-I think I'm done for tonight. My meds wont last for too much longer and its getting dark. Deal?"
"that sounds like a deal to me."

The two exchanged numbers as he dropped the girl off at her door, watching as she'd closed the door. He looked down at his phone texting the number to make sure it worked while he walked toward the exit.