prologue

Katie was sat in her apartment, her laptop was on her lap. Currently the tab was opened on her albums art that her designer had just sent her. It wasn't great to say the least. She didn't understand how people couldn't just do what they were supposed to. The cover was meant to represent her music, the mood of the whole album. This was just a collection of colours thrown across a page.

If she was honest with herself, she had fallen into a pit of sadness over the past month or two. She has isolated herself from everyone and just focused on her music. Which wasn't great for her but Katherine never did do anything that was normal. She never had a normal family, a normal childhood.

"Moments ago, police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire." Those were the words that had caught her attention, those words sunk deep into her heart. Did this mean that she had to go back? See her
siblings? 
The last time she saw them was a couple weeks after Ben died and she did not end it on good terms with most of them, that was well over ten years ago.

Of course she had seen Klaus as he was the one that she was closest to but she hadn't seen anyone else. She knew of their lives and what they were up to, she liked to keep up with it, she found it interesting. But she never once would interact with them. She was scared of how they would react to seeing her.

"Dear old dad." She mumbled, looking up from the screen. She was conflicted, whether to be sad or happy. The man who had caused her so much trauma had now died, but she couldn't complete hate him, he was her dad.

Mr Hargreeves was a hard man to crack, she never did get under the surface layer. He was too protective. Too good at hiding things, too good at putting up a facade that he started to believe it himself.

"Number eight focus!" The billionaire shouted in her ear. They had been at this for hours and still hadn't gotten anywhere.

"Why can't I train with the others today?" The seven year old asked.

"No more questions! Now if you do not concentrate, this gun is going to fire one bullet at you within the next ten seconds. It is your task to stop it."

"But what if I don't?"

"I said no more questions!
10... 9..."
He started to countdown, fear settled into the little girls heart. She closed her eyes and focused her whole mind on stopping it, creating some type of barrier, anything that would protect her. But she couldn't feel anything. The usual tingling that she felt in her chest and at the back of her head wasn't there and she was scared.

She heard the shot echo around the room, and felt a sudden impact in her left shoulder. It started to burn, like it was on fire. She fell to the floor as she screamed in pain.

Quickly, she brought her hands up to press on the wound that was open. Blood was pouring out of it too fast to halt and her dad didn't seem to be doing anything to stop it.

He just stood there and watched like she was some sort of attraction. Like he didn't have any love for her.
The pain was getting unbearable, and she was loosing blood at a rapid pace. She didn't want to die. Not now.

"Mum! Please help!"
She shouted before black started to cloud her vision. First the corners then into the middle. Just before she fell unconscious she heard Sir Hargreeves make a comment.

"You're not good enough."

She stood from her seat and stretched. She didn't weep like she did for Ben or Five, because he never felt like he had any attachment to her. She just felt hollow, that feeling when you don't know what to feel. It was confusing and she definitely didn't want to have to deal with it around her siblings.

But she couldn't not go, it would be his funeral. She owed Pogo and Grace that at least, just to turn up.

"Time for some quality family time."