Chapter Six

6/10/17

6/10/17

"ARE YOU SURE you don't want to come?" Grayson asks for the hundredth time with worry etched into her kind face.

"You know you never have to feel like a wheel or whatever with us," Hayley tells me. "I'm not even technically dating anyone. So really I'm third wheeling on Gray and Cale's date and Clayton is fourth wheeling," she explains as she adjusts her purse on her shoulder.

"Thanks guys," I tell them with a small lift of my lips. "But I just want to hang out and chill tonight," I say truthfully before I turn to Hayley. "And you need this night with Clay. It will be good for the two of you," I add with an encouraging smile.

Her throat bobbles as her head drops. "I'm kind of nervous," Hayley admits with a faint blush touching her freckled cheeks.

"You'll have an amazing night," I reassure her without hesitation.

"I'll make sure you do," Grayson adds with a wink to lighten up the mood.

"Thanks," she murmurs before straightening her shoulders. "But I will miss you," she tells me with a pout.

"I'll miss you too," I sigh taking in my two perfect best friends. "You both look amazing tonight though," I add with a wave of my hands at their killer outfits for the night on the town.

Grayson's wearing a powder blue eyelet sundress paired with nude heels. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a stylish ponytail and she's wearing a pair of white hoop earrings. Hayley is in a silky blush jumpsuit with a white lace bralette that peaks out from underneath and white platforms shoes. Her hair is left natural in all it's wavy glory and she's wearing her gold constellation necklace that she never takes off.  

"You think?" Grayson beams before giving us a little twirl.

"Would I lie?" I ask with a raised brow.

"She is the honest one," Hayley says with a tilt of her head.

Her words are so simple yet they cause guilt to slide through me like a ton of bricks. I truly never lie to them when they come to me for advice or my opinion. I always try to be the voice of reason, especially when it comes to their crazy love lives. And yet I lied about an entire aspect of my life when it came to my job at school. I always meant to come forward and share my secret with them, but the ever-crowding fear of judgment took over and held me back from telling my truth.

I shake my head to push away the shame that wants to eat away at me. "Alright you better go before you're late!" I tell them as I start to usher them towards the front door.

"Okay, okay," Grayson relents grabbing her small leather purse from the kitchen counter.

"Are you sure—" Hayley starts once again as her dark eyebrows draw together.

"I'm sure," I cut her off decisively. "I'm going to be fine and you need to stop worrying about me and have fun tonight," I tell her as I continue to shove them forward.