Chapter Four

5/28/17

5/28/17

I WINCE AT the obnoxiously bright light streaming in through the bedroom window. A groan flies from my dry lips before I lift my hands to press the heels of my palms into my aching eyes. A pounding headache begins to echo from the back of my head as my hands drop into the soft comforter covering me.

Slowly I lift my body to take in the bedroom I somehow managed to crawl my way into last night. The walls are a light almost slate blue, and the furniture and bedding are all a bright white with accents of grey and blue tossed into simple decorations. It's fresh and clean, and the perfect room for a beach house.

I run a hand through my tangled hair fully aware it's most likely sticking up in every direction. My body sinks into the soft sheets and pillow top mattress that feels like absolute heaven with the hangover from hell hitting me right now.

I roll out of bed and pass a large standing mirror to see my outfit. The memory of the night before hits me as I remember Hayley and I grabbing our suitcases late last night from her car but leaving them by the front door. We only grabbed our pajamas to change into as we were too tired and I was too drunk to do anything else.

My eyes land on my purse that I must've grabbed on my way up last night, and I quickly rummage through it to find the small bottle of Advil I keep in it. I pop a couple into my mouth and wash them down with a swig of water that I found on my nightstand.

God, I drank way too much last night.

Grayson wouldn't stop filling my glass and before I knew it I was around six margaritas deep. Though the distraction was well needed with Colt and his dark eyes and flirty grin that wouldn't stop watching me. Following me. Making dirty comments about me that no one else got but us.

Because he knows. He knows a part of me no one else has ever seen. A part of me I keep so pushed far down from the surface it never sees the light of day. It's hidden.

But he saw the truth. I broke rules with him.

And you liked it.

I shove the random thought that flits through my brain aside and take another gulp of the room temperature water to clear my cotton mouth.

I make my way out downstairs quietly as not to not wake anyone up and grab my suitcase and small duffel to drag up to my room. Everyone's passed out as it's still early in the morning, but I've never been one who's able to sleep in. No matter what I'm awake and ready to go by eight in the morning.

My feet lead me back up to the room that will be mine for the summer. As I set my bags down in the corner of the room and open them up I can't help but pause.

The idea of leaving flashes through me. Urges me to buy a last minute plane ticket and get the hell out of this small beach town.

But then the anxiety that threatens to overtake me begins to settle. Because I think of Grayson's laugh and Hayley's witty remarks. I think of my two best friends and how much they mean to me. How much they've changed my life these past couple years, and how nervous I am to leave them when the time arrives.