22. How to Win the Lottery

Lunch was served on the terrace overlooking the vast scenery. A delicious soup, salad and bread, followed by roasted chicken, grilled fish and vegetarian steaks. Everything was fresh and real – not like the substitute food the factories tried to make as real tasting as possible. I usually enjoyed a meal like this only on the biggest occasions – like Christmas, which our family celebrated. Or someone's wedding. Our meal was washed down with freshly squeezed orange juice – an expensive delicacy.

I did not speak much, being too confused with all the recent events, and I was enjoying the delicious food. But I did want to know one thing.

"Could you please explain how exactly you managed to arrange it that I won the lottery?" I asked.

Batsheba looked at me and smiled.

"Can't you guess? By witchcraft of course."

"But how?"

"Well, we don't make a big song and dance about this, but money is basically energy. Witches work with energy to mold events and create things. I'm not about to tell you exactly how it was done. In general, we don't want it to be known that witches can do this kind of thing. You can imagine the consequences if we did..."

Actually I couldn't, but Sara enlightened me, when my expression revealed I did not have a clue what she was talking about.

"Witches would have no peace at all after that. All sorts of charlatans would announce that they were witches and teach people nonsense. The only money they would be able to bend to their will would be what they cheated out of gullible people. The good name of witches would go down the drain. This is one of the reasons the existence of witches is kept secret on purpose. You are not to tell anyone you are a witch, unless it is another witch, or the circumstances are exceptional. Everyone thinks we are just characters in children's stories - that's the way it should stay."

Batsheba nodded and continued her explanation.

"We usually don't bend money to our will unless we can be certain that doing so doesn't harm anyone. That isn't easy. As this money did not belong to anyone yet, we made an exception and arranged for you to take part in the lottery – though that required old fashioned hacking into the Lottery Corporation's computer systems. Once we had created a ticket into the system we used witchcraft to make sure you would win. We needed to get you away from Amira's clutches and the only way to do that is to have enough money to live on the Palace Plate - where you can learn witchcraft.

"But before you learn witchcraft you are vulnerable, so you need to live where it is safe. And that would also mean living on the Palace Plate, because the safest houses and palaces are built there. You would need to live under the protection of someone who knows witchcraft. Also, as you start your studies at the University Plate, you need to get an apartment there that is as secure as possible. No student dormitories for you. And that again means you have to be very rich. So this was a decision we made: to bend the lottery energies in order for you to win."

"We?"

"Sara and me," Batsheba nodded into Sara's direction, "and a few others who prefer to remain anonymous for safety reasons."

Sara smiled and raised her fork in greeting from the other end of the table.

"So you are a witch too?" I asked Sara.

"Well. I don't consider myself a traditional witch, no. But I have learned to work the energies along the way. It comes easily to me, probably because of my natural abilities as a medium."

The sound of someone clearing their throat came from behind us. The butler... Burt? Yes, Burt, was standing in the doorway looking as fresh as a daisy despite the warmth.