15. The Party

"You've got your letter from the university!"

Mother must have been waiting for me by the door because I had barely stepped inside when she was already waving the letter in front of my face. I'm sure she would have opened it for me if it hadn't been an official letter. As it was, I took it from Mom and pressed my finger on the little square that read the fingerprints of the recipient. The little screen recognized me, lit up and the letter came into view.

"We are pleased to announce you have been accepted as a student in the faculty of Egyptology at the University of Ancient Cultures," the first sentence read.

A month had passed since my visit to the University Plate and the weirdest thing was that life had been going on as if nothing strange had ever happened to me. I had not heard a peep from Miro or Sara. I was certain they were not going to contact me ever again. I'd been wary of talking to strangers or touching them, and had not even been to the mall with my friends. I had searched the net for "dark souls" and "cursed souls" but there didn't seem to be factual sites anywhere. Just fantasy books, music, and blogs but nothing about real body snatching and soul switching.

"Eeek! You got into university! We have to celebrate this!" Mother took a few hurried steps this way and that, not knowing which direction she should go to first. "Now Muriel will have to eat all those snide remarks about our family being mediocre!"

Aunt Muriel, an accountant in a big law firm, was one of those people who enjoyed belittling others. Anyone earning less than she did, was beneath her respect. And mother was now clearly thinking she had something to stuff down Aunt Muriel's throat. All those worries about me not being able to make a decent living as an Egyptologist were put to one side as she enjoyed herself thinking about getting one over on my well-to-do, superior aunt.

The letter continued, stating a date two weeks off when accepted applicants were to arrive at the University Plate and sign in as a student – in person. And the study year would start in two months' time from now. During this time, the students were to arrange their accommodation at the university. A long list of contact persons for different dormitories followed.

I stared at the letter. Never in my wildest dreams had I expected to make it to a university, nor had I intended to. And of course, when I came to think of it – I couldn't even take the credit. It was the cursed soul who had done the job for me.

So how could I ever succeed in a university when I didn't know the foggiest about ancient Egyptian culture?

I rushed to my room, past gawking Tina whose face openly reflected my own emotions.

"I can't believe it... you, of all people! But you hated school! You only did your homework to get to the next level," she blurted out. "And you wanted to be a stewardess..."

"Well, that's what you thought," I said, slamming the door shut behind me before she could begin arguing with me again. For she was right – I had never been overly enthusiastic about school and had never done any extra work if I could avoid it.

From downstairs I could hear mother already on the phone, arranging for a party to celebrate my admittance to the university.

I sat by my desk. It had been a while since I had written to my dead friends.

"OK, are you there?" I asked and took my screen and the screen pen I used to write onto it. "Anyone?"

"Yes," the answer was in Mia's handwriting, "use paper."

Now that was odd. But I took the paper pad I had bought. The paper was not made of wood fiber but of stone dust. It was expensive to buy, and I didn't want to use it up.