20. Narrow Escape

I woke up to a familiar buzz. A cloud of flies was swarming around my face. Some of them were happily exploring the fruit bowl in front of the window. I noticed it was still night. The stars shone like tiny lamps in the black space.

"It isn't morning yet, George!" I said and tried to hide under the blanket.

No use, the flies just landed on top of it and buzzed even louder. Sighing, I sat up. "Are the others here too?"

The flies flew to the wall in front of me and settled there in a rather clear formation. A bit too clear for it to be accidental... I put on the light on the nightstand to have a better look. The flies had formed the word "no".

I estimated the amount of flies – not enough to use for writing long answers. It looked like George had been behaving.

"Ok... Are they coming here?"

Yes, the flies announced. Soon. Some more buzzing and another word. Danger.

"Danger? What danger?" I sat up.

The flies buzzed new words on the wall, one at a time. Black. Lady.

"Where? Here?"

Yes. Run.

I ran out of bed and opened the wardrobe. Nothing. I had no other clothes but the evening gown and the pyjamas I was wearing. Dang. I had forgotten I would get a new "proper wardrobe" in the morning. My stylist had informed me of this fact while supervising my makeup and hairdo before carrying my clothes off, holding them at arm's length.

The flies buzzed around my face, urging me to leave. A plush bathrobe was hanging on the bathroom door – I put it on while I pushed my feet into silly looking slippers that had pom-pom decorations. But at least the slippers did not have heels. I wasn't good with heels.

I opened the door to my room only a little and peeked out into the corridor. Silence and no one was visible.

I got out and closed the door as silently as I could, putting the key card in my pocket and walked as casually as I could towards the lobby I could make out at the other end of the corridor. Then I heard a lift door opening somewhere. And a very recognizable click-click-click sound of stiletto heels on a marble floor coming from the direction of the lobby I was headed towards.

"Oops, perhaps not that way..."

I was in the middle of the corridor and had nowhere to hide. I could of course return to my room, but that's where those heels were headed as far as I could tell. In panic I looked around. The flies formed a cloud in front of my face and in a tight formation swerved towards a door, settling there in the form of an arrow. What else could I do but follow their lead?

"Miss Lottery" the sign on the door said.

I knocked on the door, as quietly as I could, certain that she was deeply asleep and would not hear me. But I did not dare to bang on the door either as that would certainly draw attention to me.

To my surprise the door opened almost immediately and Miss Lottery stood in the doorway fully dressed, swaying slightly. She had been on a tour of the night clubs of the Palace Plate, it seemed.

"Oh. It's you. I thought the room service was bringing me more champagne," she stammered. She was well in her cups (one of which was still in her hands). "You wouldn't have a rich boyfriend for me, dear? I'm afraid my lease on this accommodation runs out after next week."

My subconscious was clearly working overtime, because I listened with utter surprise to what my mouth blurted out next.

"No. But I came to offer you a job. I heard I need a secretary, and you know the lay of the land here, so to speak. Figured we might talk about it," I said and pushed myself past her as her face lightened into a surprised smile. I yanked her backwards and pulled the door shut.