5. To the Hospital

I tried to find anything I could hold on to. There was no roof-rack on the car and I looked around in panic, hearing the faint hiss of the car doors closing.

"Grab the antenna," Matthew said, "we can hang on the sides of the car. But first, let's make sure you can get hold of it in the first place..."

He placed his hands over mine and grabbed the antenna together with me while mother started the engine - I could feel the vibrations of the car as it rose into the air. It was still hovering in place over the magnetic street rail keeping it afloat. 

Matthew's touch seemed to make my hands heavier. Yes, that was the word. Or almost - solid...

"Now, pull," Matthew said and I did. The antenna bent ever so slightly.

"Good. You are solid enough to hold onto that. Don't let go. The elements don't touch us as strongly as if we were in physical bodies, but they still do have an effect."

Mia and Matthew had obviously done this before, as they held on to the sides of the car in a relaxed manner using only one hand when the car began to move. It must have helped that mother had wanted an ornamental car with all sorts of curved decorations framing the roof. The only thing that was missing was a knitted curtain and the kitchen sink. Mia and Matthew also stayed upright with ease with their legs crossed, while I was bouncing about in the wind like a balloon, desperately holding the antenna. It was pitifully short, just long enough to hold onto with two hands, but that's all.

Mother was a careful driver, but now she was definitely speeding, right from the moment she led the car to the main rail on the road. She must have taken off the speed control, risking a fine that would remove points from her driver's license and increase her insurance fees.

"Hey! There's Ravi! Raviii!" Mia waved at the ghost of a plump Indian man who was hitching a ride on another car coming from the opposite direction. He was also sitting relaxed on top of the car, with crossed legs, holding on to the side of the roof with one hand, his tunic flapping around him in the breeze.

"Mia! Good morning! Good to see you! We should have tea sometime!" he yelled back, waving with his free hand. His voice disappeared as his car turned a corner.

If I had had time, I would have wondered why these ghosts chose to travel along with cars. Surely there were other, more convenient ways of transport for the dead?

"Who was that?" Matthew asked. "Interesting looking fellow."

"Ravi. Or Ravindra, that's his real name. He's an old friend. He was run over on purpose because he wouldn't allow his daughter to marry the driver in question. Something to do with castes – Ravi was a Brahmin, and the suitor came from a lower caste. A priest's daughter to marry a merchant's son – that was wrong, as far as he was concerned. He has admitted it was a silly thing as the young ones were very much in love and the whole caste system has been illegal for centuries. But his belief was strong and he thought what he was doing was right. Of course, the young man in question ended up in prison and Ravi's daughter is unhappy as a result. Ravi believes he will be born again and has sworn he will act more kindly the next time around. He only has two years left on the Waiting Level," Mia enlightened Matthew. 

"I haven't seen him before," Matthew said, "doesn't live in our neck of the park then?"

"No, he lives in a Hindu house with other Indian Hindus, quite a long way off. I lost my way once and ended up there when I was trying to get to the Taj Mahal on Earth, never having been there of course. I ended up next to their Halfway House in front of a miniature of the Taj Mahal in their garden instead of the real thing! Ravi spends his time here in the physical a lot, though, trying to help couples who are facing difficulties because they want to marry for love. Ah, I think we are approaching the hospital," Mia pointed.