Chapter 5 Chasing Life

I get being spontaneous, but when your fiancé wakes you up at four in the morning by calling your cell phone until you answer, is ridiculous. Quickly yet quietly, I pull on a blue fitted t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and pull on my leather jacket before I slip down stairs and out of the apartment. I wave to the doorman as I walk out of the lobby, were I see Justin leaning on his car.

"Justin? What are you doing here? School doesn't start for at least five more hours."

"Come on. Justin say's with a smile."

I look at him confused. "Come on where???"

"Just come on." Justin say's opening my door.

"You're crazy." I say, but I get in anyway.

"I know." He says starting the car.

I watch out my window as we pass by buildings and street lamps. Some people were just getting home and some people were just coming out.

"Where are we going?" I ask again.

"Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn? Why?" I ask.

"The Brooklyn Bridge."

"The Brooklyn Bridge!? Why-"

Justin hold's up my just in case list. "You forgot, this last night."

It clicked. Justin was trying to do stuff on my list. Such a simple gesture that touched my heart in such a way it almost brought tears to my eyes. I don't remember having anything about the Brooklyn Bridge on my list though..

Once we get to the busy bridge Justin parks the car down by the river.

"Come on." He say's getting out.

"Justin, Justin, what are we doing-"

Justin's lips meet mine in a long kiss.

"You want a romantic sunrise, you got one." He say's sitting on the ground and pulling me into his lap.

I smile and wrap my arms around him. "You are the best fiancé in the world." I say.

We sit in silence holding each other as the bright sun slowly rises over the city, the rays of light break in bright beams through the bridge, and reflect on the water and the building's.

"We better get back so we can get to school-"

"School? We're not going to school today." Justin winks.

A smile breaks across my face.

"Come on my love." Justin say's helping me off the ground.

But the movement causes my head to spin and I lose my balance, almost falling back to the ground.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, I got you." Justin say's catching me.

My hands and arms were shaking as I clung to Justin and tried to regain my balance. The world still swayed but it was starting to stop.

"Are you okay?" He asks, still holding me up.

"I just stood up too fast." I lie.

I've started to develop Anemia but only my brother knows, he was at my chemo appointment when Doctor Mapstone told me. I made him promise not to tell anyone.

Once we are in the car on the road again I start to fall asleep.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

"Jess. Wake up." Justin's voice wakes me up.

"I'm sorry." I yawn.

"It's okay baby."