Chapter 7

Date: April 26th, 2019
Attempt 6 of 7

Natasha checked herself in the mirror for the tenth time in the last five minutes. The goosebumps all over her skin had no intent of leaving and it wasn't because she was cold. She'd never been nervous; hell, she couldn't even recall the last time she was ever nervous about anything. Before assignments, missions, battles, and everything in between she never became an anxious, nervous wreck. Even for tomorrow she was oddly calm, but in just three minutes, she'd be going on her first official date with Steve Rogers.

Natasha straightened her smooth, skin tight black dress. The dress shaped and hugged her body in all the right places, she knew this would drive Steve crazy, Natasha had to divert his attention to everything except for what was going on inside her head. Steve had a knack for reading her in ways no one else had ever been able to do, and Natasha was going to do anything and everything she could to distract him.

She'd curled her platinum blonde hair and wore diamond earrings and a simple silver necklace. Underneath her dress was her gun, she could never be too prepared. Especially with everything going on the next day, who knows what could happen and who they could encounter. Steve hadn't told her where they were going, he was being unusually secretive about the whole thing and this bothered her. Like Steve could do with her, she could read him very well. Usually he was a bad liar; but this time, he actually kept his mouth shut and was expressionless when she mentioned their date. What was worse was the fact that no one knew they were dating, so Natasha couldn't even peg Wanda or Sam or Clint if they had any idea what Steve was planning.

A gentle knock at Natasha's door snapped her out of her thoughts. She flinched and her breath was caught in her throat, what was wrong with her? It's just a date, she'd been on many of these before.

'Yeah, but those were all staged, or for business, or for some guy whom you thought you liked. You actually like this one and have real feelings for him, you don't want to mess this up Natasha.' Natasha's subconscious raised a valid point that was both true and pissed her off. Steve had been the first guy whom she'd genuinely had real feelings for and as far as she knew, liked her for who she was.

Natasha took a deep breath before her sweaty hand grabbed hold of the chilled bronze  doorknob and with quivering fingers, turned it and opened the door. There stood Steve in a black jacket, slim fitting white shirt and black pants. His dirty blonde hair was gelled and he leaned casually against the door, the smolder on his face made Natasha's heart throb.

As soon as Natasha had opened the door, Steve wasn't sure what he'd been expecting but it certainly wasn't this. Natasha wore an ink black dress, he'd seen her in her black leather suits, but whenever women wore dresses, in his opinion it revealed a more dainty and ladylike beauty. Those were not words to describe Natasha but he'd always known she was pretty, but tonight she gave the word beautiful a whole new definition.

He felt his mouth hang open for a while, he hadn't known how long they been standing there staring at each other so he decided it was time to break the ice. "Natasha, wow, you look incredible." He could barely muster up the words, suddenly he felt like that shy and meek boy from Brooklyn who couldn't say a word to any woman. He felt helpless because Natasha always intimidated him a little, but seeing her like this sent a chill through his bones.

Natasha hated that her cheeks grew warm as she blushed at his compliment, she might've slapped him if he'd said she was beautiful. But her tactic was working, he was so engrossed by her dress he hadn't noticed how terrified she was. "Thanks Rogers, you clean up nice too." She responded with her witty sense of humor, thankfully she still had that.