Chapter 5

Monday rolled around and this would be my first day back since the incident on Thursday night. I was hoping it had all blown over by now but any hopes of such a thing were crushed as soon as I walked through those doors. It felt like everyone was whispering about me and I needed to clear my head so I went to the bathroom. I was rinsing my face when the bell that dismissed us to first period rang.

Since the restroom I chose was clear across campus, I was late to first period...again. As Reg- I mean Mrs. Mills opened the door, I gave her a pleading look as she nodded and allowed me in.

While taking my seat, I could've swore I heard my name mentioned in a whisper at the back of the room but I pretended not to notice and began working on the assignment. I thought for sure it was all in my head until I heard Mrs. Mills say, "Detention, all of you." I turned to see the same kid who posted the pic, pretending to make out with himself while his friends laughed.

I was fuming. It took everything I had not to turn around and punch the asshole in the face. Instead I silently raised my hand and asked to use the restroom. Regina nodded and I walked to the nearest one and broke down crying before the door even closed all the way. I was a mess, an emotional mess. It was when I heard the door open that I knew I should've went into a stall, but instead of another student...it was Regina.

She walked in slowly and looked concerned. As soon as she saw my tears she cupped her hands around my face and wiped them away while saying, "Hey...hey, everything's going to be alright. They'll forget about the picture in a couple of days, and even if they don't I'll send all their asses to detention every day until they pretend they did." She made a stern face then gave me a heartwarming smile and I couldn't help myself, I laughed and pulled her in for a kiss. My lips met hers with inviting warmth and kept going until the kiss turned to passion.

I wanted to pull her in deeper. I wanted to explore her, all of her but I knew this wasn't the time or place. As if she'd read my mind, Regina pulled away and I could see a flicker of something in her eyes before they turned to disbelief and she stormed out. My lips ached, my head was throbbing, and it felt like I had just been stabbed in the chest. I sat on the tile floor of the bathroom and cried for another 5 minutes until we had only a couple of minutes left in first.

The rest of first period was absolute hell. I sat in my desk watching her and remembering our kiss the whole period. Every time she turned around to write something on the board my eyes would travel down her body. When she was at her computer, I would always somehow end up staring down her v-neck blouse. She caught me staring a couple of times but simply pretended she didn't notice.

I spent the rest of the week paying attention and doing my work and just trying to get her to talk to me again. Damn I'm so stupid. She was opening up to me, we had something...but I went and screwed it up. On Friday I'd finally given up, I asked to speak with her one on one after class and she refused. I let out a sigh and for the first time all week she said, "Wait."

She let out a distressed sigh and kept going, "Is this about what happened in the bathrooms? Because if it is...it never did. You are an amazing student and you're so intelligent but that's it...you're my student and that's all you can be. It's my job to teach you, and if we keep going down this path...we're both going to have to learn a very hard lesson." There were tears welling up in her eyes but her face remained stern. "I'm not mad at you for kissing me." My heart fluttered at this news and I couldn't help but smile. "However, I'm upset that you couldn't control your emotions. It can't happen again...if it does, I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch you out of my first period."

My face fell. Tears started streaming and there was no stopping them, the floodgates had opened and I was helpless. She set her hand on my shoulder for comfort, careful not to get too close, and I flinched at her touch. I looked up once again, and watched as she inhaled sharply, wiped her tears, and said, "You should go...you're going to be late to your next period."

She didn't write me a pass, and I was late to second period.