Chapter 3: Unexpected

I let her go.

She stands up and watches me. I can't bear to look at her. I know if I do, I won't be able to give her another chance to escape. I never let anyone go before. My mind was in shambles. I press my hands against my head to try and shut off the maddening hammer against my skull.

I was so hungry... so fucking hungry for her.

I hear her footsteps back away from me, probably watching me every second she took to linger. I wait until I hear the door squeak open and the light from the street lamps shine through the opening onto the floor.

The moment it disappears and the sound of the door clicks closed, I rip off my mask and bury my face in it. "FUUUUCCK!"

My heart was pounding out of my chest. This was not good. The anticipation of feeding my dangerous addiction was beginning to punish me. I waited so long, longer than I usually did, to take my chance to finish her.

This was bad. This was so very, very bad.

I don't know if I can fight this off. I know what would happen if I didn't eat someone soon. Only irrational things could come from this, stupid things. Things that would get a person like me caught. If my mind was not 100% focused, I would 100% fuck up. I've fucked up before. The people who caught me wanted to kill me, but saw potential instead. I got lucky, but luck like that doesn't happen more than once.

 I draw my face away from my mask. I can feel sweat dripping down my forehead. My hands were shaking. I bit down on my finger to wake myself up, hard enough to draw blood. I had to refocus myself.

Damn, that hurt.

Dragging my half-gloved fingers across my forehead, I look towards the door. I freeze.

Evee was still standing there, watching me.

Why the fuck didn't she run away?

She was looking right at me. I could tell she didn't entirely recognize me. That was good, but not good enough.

I couldn't let her go now. It was too late. I had to do it. I had to kill her.

I waste little time in standing up. There was no lying to her now. There was only one other person who had ever seen my face before their time, and he probably didn't even know what the fuck he was looking at.

I slide my fingers around the hilt of my knife and rush towards her. Her hands draw up in a vain attempt to stop me, but she makes no effort to run. Pushing her against the wall, it didn't take much to keep her from making any false moves.

"Why didn't you leave!" I practically scream into her face.

I was getting angry, my rage building brick by brick. I couldn't stay focused. This was a fucking disaster.

I shake my head repeatedly. "I can't let go now. It's too late now."

She watches me, her face completely stagnant. This was beginning to feel so wrong, but I have to eat. She smells so good, like tangerines. She was probably just as juicy if I could only have one bite.

Her voice was shaky, "I can help you."

I punch the wall behind her, "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I push my blade into her shoulder, almost blindly,  "I don't want your help. I just want to taste you."

She barely flinches as the pointed tip punctures her skin, "Go ahead then."

What was that supposed to mean?

 Whatever, I don't care. 

I shove it straight through her until I feel the metal hit the wall behind her. She grits her teeth and shuts her eyes tight, but doesn't scream.

I stick my face right against hers, keeping my hand steady on the blade. "You don't tell me what the fuck to do!"

Her beautiful sweet blood drips from the hilt. I drag my finger to catch the drops and bring them to my lips. There is was! Almost immediately the pounding in my head begins to subside. I needed more.

I wrap my hand around her neck and squeeze. "Don't move."

I pull the knife from her shoulder. The serrated edge probably did more damage coming out than in. At this point, I don't care about hurting her, I just wanted to eat her. Blood starts to escape from the wound like a faucet turned all the way to the left. I can't help myself. I dive right in, sucking up the blood and rubbing my teeth against her flesh.

So fucking good. Everything I dreamed it would be.

I pull back and tear out a satisfying chunk. Nothing was better than fresh off the bone. Rolling it around my mouth, I bite down into the tantalizing meat. It sends tingles of satisfaction down my spine. Blood trickles down my chin as I feel it coat my throat before pushing it down into my stomach.

I need more.

"NO!" Evee's stern voice pulls me back. She was feeling it, the terrible pain that I am sure I was causing her. She might have been screaming in agony the entire time I was feasting on her, but I'm never grounded in this reality when I hit that wall of euphoria.

I should choke her out right here, cut out her throat and pop out her eyes for safe keeping. Then I wouldn't have to hear her. I could eat in peace.

There was something about her though, far more twisted and resilient. There was more to dig out of her that couldn't be physically digested. She'd be lying on the floor dead to the world if there wasn't. It was something I could only attain if she was alive. 

I take the blade and drag it along her arm up to her neck. Her soft brown eyes electrify with both relief and assurance. If this was a trick, she was screwing with the wrong person.

Her tongue coats her lips with fresh saliva. "I can help you get what you need."

I stop the movement of the blade. "How do you know what I need?"

"Because." she bravely raises her arm and grasps my hand holding the knife. Carefully, she pulls it down between our bodies and to my side, "I know you."

There was some sort of spark in her eyes. I don't know what it was, but for a second, I wanted to shove my tongue down her throat more than devour her. She wasn't lying to me. Now that my thirst was slightly quenched, questions were beginning to surface.

She wanted me to taste her. She wanted to be here with me. Perhaps getting some sort of strange satisfaction? She seems enamored with this entire situation, in a cold-blooded cynical sort of way.

Why?

"Come with me." Without letting go of my hand she leads me to the door.

"Wait." I pull off my coat and wrap it around her, zipping it up, making sure she was well covered. I didn't want to be tempted to grab another bite.

She smiles at me and grabs for my hand again. I didn't need to hold a threat with her. She was willing to go, no arguments, not twisted attempts at escape. I push open the door and allow her to lead me away to whatever truth she was willing to show me.