Arc One Ch. 5

That brief moment where her eyes suddenly turned unfocused went unnoticed by those still in the middle of reuniting. She quietly standing off to the side with an observant eye taking note of everyone a sad smile slowly formed as Tobias noticed her.

Slipping passed the small group now blocking the entrance he walked over to her. "Little Kira..." He spoke in a gentle tone that caused her eyes to sting slightly as the tears seemingly gathered on their own.

"I am not very little anymore Tobias." She said while trying to stand up as straight as possible with her chin lifted.

The act got her exactly what she wanted; Tobias gave a slight chuckle and nodded towards her still very short stature. "You've gotten a lot taller since the last time I have seen you." Before he tried to reach down and in a good natured way mess up her hair which she'd blocked out of reflex.

Tobias held a look of surprise not expecting to be blocked so thoroughly by her slight hand movement. "And your reflexes are much quicker too." As he said this Theodore came walking over with Jun and Hana in hand having seeing the exchange.

"It seems you're getting old brother or little Kira here takes more after Aunt Karin than anyone thought." He said picking at Tobias who didn't seem to be happy about being called out as old.

"Well you're not much younger than me Theo." He spoke out reflexively.

Jun and Hana were at the moment pulling at his beard that had grown longer since the last time they had seen him. "Ah, what are you two trying to do pull my whole face off?" He'd complained after feeling them tug on it in a particularly hard manner that hurt.

"No, it's just are you really still Theodore underneath all that hair?" Jun asked in a mischievous way while Hana made a face while still holding onto the hair.

Kira noticed that Ingrid and Kurou had started to head off towards the kitchen. She turned back to see Theodore making a hurt expression towards the two youngsters. "Of course I am still me, why do I look funny?" He asked while wanting nothing more than to reach up and touch the tip of his chin. Hana nodded, her face was scrunched up as if she smelled something unpleasant.

Tobias shook his head seeing this though finding himself lifting a hand up towards the tip of his chin but stopped short noticing Edith. Her naturally stern expression on her face softened with a smile watching them from her position. Letting his hand fall back down to his side he gave her a grin before slightly nudging Theodor's side. Glancing away from the two he looked over at Edith who was showing a smile which he mirrored.

"Momma says it's time for dinner." She called out getting receiving an awe from Jun and Hana who were still in the middle of messing with Theodore. They were quickly put down after this as they made their way into the kitchen.

From behind Kira watched the others as she entered the kitchen. A strong smell of herbs filled the air since she had been within the kitchen. She found the scent to be pleasant and wondered about the mixture Ingrid had used to make it.

On the long table that had been set held a few steaming bowls in the middle. As Kira sat down she noticed that each one smell even better than the last. Only after sitting down did those two places at the table become more noticeable, she glanced around the table finding that the bit of joking around had dissipated and things turned to a more somber atmosphere.

"Tonight we will share a last meal with Karin and Edwin." Kurou spoke finding it hard to speak at the moment.

Kira bow her head a bit much like the others who all were taking a moment of silence.

As the meal came to a close and the dishes had been dealt with and put away did she really begin to understand what they meant by sharing a last meal. Ingrid called her over and placed a gentle hand onto her shoulder. "Do you want to carry the platter Kira dear?" The platter being the meat that Edith had helped to finish preparing earlier.

Kira gave a strong nod. "Alright but remember to be careful with your footing." Ingrid added in a tender tone that left the fresh feeling she had only slightly settled down to flutter to life again.

As they left the entrance a few more figures that were slightly obscured by the now dark night sky. Getting close Kira could recognize them as her grandmother and grandfather who were now beginning to be surrounded by their children and grandchildren. No one spoke though a strong hand was placed onto her shoulder by each of the gathered party.

"Everyone has arrived let us go." Her grandmother said in a soft whisper which had gotten the full attention of those around her.

Kira found that she wasn't the only one carrying a platter, there was a platter from each of her mother's many brothers and her elder sister.

The chill of the night didn't appear to bother any of those gathered as it did Ingrid who was shivering even in her heavy layers. Kira found that the cold didn't really bother her either and fell in line with the procession.

Her grandmother led them along the main road that ran along the mountain side. She slowed down a bit when coming upon a guard who stood in a place Kira found strange. They talked in low voice before the man in stander furs moved to the side allowing them to pass.

The next part of the path they followed wasn't as evenly made or seemed to be as properly kept as the main road. Kira found herself nearly tripping not expecting a sudden hole to just be under her foot. A hand quickly pulled her back before she could twist an ankle; giving a brief turn she noticed that it had been Tobias who'd helped her out. Giving a silent nod she continued to walk though her eyesight became slightly stronger.

Reaching the end of the long and steep winding incline Kira found her eyes widening. The sight that greeted them was a clear view of the night sky and the outline of the trees under the bright light of the full moon. Seeing those carrying a platter up to an edge where a large rock stood in a way that overlook everything Kira proceeded to do as they did and place the platter up alongside theirs.

After the platters had been placed a strange scent filled the air until Kira realized what was currently going on. Those with the ability to shift did so gathering into a tight group as they gazed up at the moon.

The first to howl she could recognize as her grandmother and grandfather followed by the rest of their children and grandchildren. At first the sound came out in a shaky and off key way then as more voices joined a song sung in howls began. Those too young to shift into their wolf form joined their own voice with the mournful song as they began singing their goodbyes and well wishes to the departed.

A heavy feeling settled into Kira's chest as she sang along with the other children as more tears started to fall down her cheeks.