Arc One Ch. 4

Kurou stood silently watching over the bustling main road from a resting place. His form sat in a slumped over position that he normally would never take even in a physically wounded state. While waiting for his son's Tobias and Theodore to arrive he had time to sit and simply think about the news he'd just received not too long ago. Being the mentor to both Kenta and Karin during their younger years, he found himself more than a little suspicious of the letter sent to them explaining the situation.

Karin had always been known to follow the pack rules to the letter. Since young she always kept close to her small group of four never straying too far or letting them out of her visual range. As many tragic stories told during those bitter cold days during communal huddles were told which expressed how dangerous their mountain territory could be if one found themselves stranded all alone without any form of help.

Though it seemed that there was some truth within covering the lies, Karin had always been one of the strong and reading how she was found didn't come as a surprise. In turn not much detail on Edwin's death had been mentioned further making things unclear. There was no reason not to give a full report unless it touched upon a sensitive issue that had to be covered up. Only if it were just that a formal mention would be made on the reason why and not left in such a state that left doubts within the minds of the family within another pack for one simple reason, blood debts. 

"Father, are you well?" The deep voice of Tobias asked with concern.

Kurou looked up to see his oldest son still covered in stone dust and panting for breath. To the left he noticed Theodore was also gasping for breath. Both of them wore simple leather that had turned dull from the stone dust. Their hair had been pulled back into tails while their faces were covered with a beard. If not for the obvious height difference and Theodore's sandy brown hair it would be hard to tell them apart. 

"No I am not son." He spoke in a low tone full of grief while pulling out a copy of the letter sent.

Tobias held the paper between Theodore and himself to read. Seeing the contents giving them such a general description without much else left a bad taste in each of their mouths. "This is all those Pine Wood bastards have to say on the matter?" Theodore asked with obvious disgust in his voice.

Furrowing his thick brows together, Tobias found the explanation within the letter strange as the claim of this being done by a lone wolf didn't make much sense. From what he had understood a lone wolf was merely those who didn't quite fit into a pack due a variety of reasons. They were considered mostly harmless as they held compliant attitudes towards those within pack territory as their only goal being to get through pack lands as quickly and quietly as possible.

To him this particular situation sounded more like an attack from a rogue wolf. These wolves all held unnaturally aggressive and hostile attitudes towards other wolves in general but especially towards those who were apart of the, new pack land laws that saved their species from complete and utter extinction. So either someone chose their words poorly or some nefarious deeds were being covered up. Neither idea sat well Tobias though didn't shock him in the least having witnessed many troubles his grandmother regularly dealt with as a child.   

Holding back the urge to crush the poorly written letter in his grasp he returned it to his father. "They expect us to believe that this was the doing of a lone wolf? It sounds like they don't take the Stonemason pack seriously. Do they think that just because the cold weather is setting in it means that there is no way for us to find out the truth?" He said while looking over to his father who hadn't spoken much.

"I honestly don't know son but we will find out the truth when the spring thaw comes." His tone came out dark and full of blood thirst, Tobias and Theodore found their bodies growing cold at how much weight was carried within his voice.

Kurou broke from the dark thoughts and really took a good look at his sons. "Your mother is going to kill the both of you when she sees you two looking so dirty." His tone came out in a much lighter tone though it still caused sweat to pour from the pair's bodies.

Frightened by this thought the pair stopped by the communal bathing area they used to visit through their adolescent years. Neither understood why their mother hated grime like she did but no one seemed to have the guts to question it.

Ingrid greeted them at the door having noticed Tobias and Theodore's scents growing stronger. The pair was still a bit soggy but gave her a smile before enveloping her into a hug. She sniffled a bit; having fought with her emotions since receiving the news caused new worries that hadn't been considered to spring up. "My sweet little troublemakers you're so clean coming home." She said as Theodore gave an awkward laugh thinking about how they used to come back sometimes covered from head to toe in mud before learning to use the communal bath before heading home.

Tobias noticed the change in their mother's mood a bit quicker than Theodore who seemed to be a bit uncomfortable since he seemed to be the one who usually got them in trouble most often. "We have gotten better..." He tried though the look given by his mother stopped him from continuing. "Dad reminded us." Hearing this she dropped the hard gaze as it turned into a softer expression.

"Still you both did pretty well cleaning up." She said noticing the slight dust that gathered onto their furs.

From the hallway emerged Jun, Hana and Kira who noticed the younger pairs excitement. They rushed off after noticing the small family reunion happening right at the opening.

It had been a little over six months since they had come home having almost no free time during the good weather to come visit. Tobias gave the two youngsters a smile while Theodore bent down and picked them up in a hug. "Big brothers you're home!" Jun and Hana cried having no idea that either would be coming home today.

Kira noticed that Ingrid looked slightly uncomfortable but didn't say anything, at this point it had become quite obvious she held a higher standard of cleanliness compared to most other wolves around her. Taking a glance over at Kurou a subtle expression of encouragement could be seen from him.

Putting all these signs together Kira now held a slight idea about why the original might've been more inclined to depart when she could. While welcoming it still wasn't her home and from the still fragmented memories got the feeling she wanted to find out the truth behind the death of her parents.

While putting all of these thoughts together; a familiar ping that could only be heard by her resounded within her mind. For a brief moment her blue eyes became unfocused opening up the system interface. In the empty space where side missions could be found it appeared in the first space it entailed finding out the truth behind the death of her parents.