Say 'no' to bullying behaviour

Like high school, you might encounter office bullying or other types of harassment in your work life.

Bullying, according to the Oxford dictionary online, is behavior that seeks to "to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable."

Bullying and other types of harassment are not tolerated in the work environment. Most workplaces have anti-bullying and anti-harassment guidelines and policies. It's useful to have access to or keep a copy in case you'll ever need it. Hopefully, you won't need it.

In the event that you feel bullied or harassed, it is important to have the support that you need, both from a person of authority (eg. someone in a role where they are in a position to address these issues and protect staff) and people around you (eg. colleagues, family, friends).

A person of authority can be your manager or someone in a higher position where they take on neutrality (especially if it is a case where your manager has been bullying or harassing you). They can also be someone in human resources (HR) or workplace health and safety (HSE).

I have personally been bullied a few times in my career, and I don't let these incidents slip away quietly.

At first, I addressed the issues directly with the person who behaved inappropriately. I talked to them about their behavior and how I felt as a result; in many cases, these issues tended to be resolved immediately once the person is made aware.

However, on two occasions, I needed to escalate the situation to a person of authority, with documented evidence, for further actions to be carried out. It was a bold step forward as it was an emotional struggle to speak out, but the consequences were in my favor. I also set an example to others that bullying or any other kind of harassment should never be tolerated.

Stand up and don't back down. Don't expect that things will always go away quietly. Document all incidences, including the time, place, what happened, what was said, what was done, and who was there.

Make sure that you document concrete evidence-the facts only. For example, if the person intimidated, belittled, or ostracized you, what actions or words did they use?

Bullying behavior or any harassment is not acceptable in or out of the workplace.

Reference:

Lexico, powered by Oxford: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/bully#bully