➊ Un - Just Like That.

Start from the beginning

Now it was only my mother and I left on the stone steps. She looked like an angel in the snow. She had beautiful blonde hair and blue eyes. Just like an angel would! But right now she didn't look like a very happy one, she looked like a sad one.

“Your father”, a sigh, “he and I will always love you; we still love you, we always will, and that will never change. This… This isn’t going to be forever. You’ll find a better home soon. I promise. A place where you can make friends that are just like you! You’ll learn all about magic and you’ll be able to use it, just like your mummy and daddy!” she paused, just like father, but this time she paused to take a thick brown book from her bag, “Sweetie, I want you to read this. This is very important; only you can read this, but make sure you never lose it. Can you do that for me sweetie?”

Little me nodded eagerly, always happy, and always eager to please her mother and father.

She smiled, she looked like she was about to cry too, but it’s okay now, because father isn’t here. She asks me to turn around. She opens up my brown leather rucksack and places the book inside with the other things she had packed for me.

“Vivie, remember everything your father taught you, okay? Remember everything mommy has told you. Always remember. If you forget, you’ll find it all in the book.” She kneels down and puts her hands on the sides of my arms, rubbing them comfortingly.

“All of this, sweetie, is our little secret. Only mommy and daddy know. Don’t tell anyone else, okay?”

I nod.

“Good girl.”

She’s still trying to keep smiling, but I can see her eyes watering even more now.

“This was always how it was suppose to be, honey… Oh dear! I don’t even know why I’m tearing up! Your father would be having a field day right now if he was here… Sweetie, remember how we practiced? I know you do. It’ll be just like that!”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that!”

I knew what I had to do, everything I was suppose to say, where I was going, and where I was. I knew it all now. It was just like we practiced.

“Vivienne, there will be a boy. Just like you. His name is Tom; Tom Riddle Jr. You’ll like him, dear. I know you will. He’s just like you!”

She stood back up, wiped the snow off her skirt, and smiled, “Make the best of it, sweetie. It’s what your father would have wanted.”

“Yes, mother”

I walked up the steps, towards the black door. But before I knocked, I had something to say, just before this chance was gone, I needed to say it. I turned around, she was still there, and looking a bit confused.

“Mother…. Mother, I-“

“Don’t be scared, sweetie. It’s what we both must do”

“I know, mother, but I-”

“It’s okay sweetie, I know.” She smiled, a real warm smile that only a mother could give, “I love you too”

 She was gone. Dissaperated.

I stared at the spot where she once stood; she was gone, just like that.

Just like that.

I turned around, and knocked on the black door to the orphanage.

Just like that.

*****

“I love you, mother” – words better left unsaid.