Chapter Nineteen

When Kamal said he got her, Amal knew without a shadow of doubt that he did

When Kamal said he got her, Amal knew without a shadow of doubt that he did. That night she had cried out her sadness and her frustration and Kamal was there: holding, caressing and consoling her. Afterwards Kamal had taken her to cloud nine: a place where only love, happiness and peace reigns: a place where worries and sorrow were alien.

Kamal's alarm beeped at 2:00am for prayers, he stretched and searched for his in the bed to wake her up but Amal wasn't in bed. Kamal frowned a bit, where was his wife? He thought as he got out of the bed. He checked the bathroom but she wasn't there, he resolved to extended his search to the sitting room and as soon as went out of the bedroom, he heard her voice: she was in the kitchen, cooking and singing, at 2:00am.

Kamal smiled to himself, it has a been a while since he heard his wife singing like that. Amal's singing, most of the time was so vexing to him especially when he was sleeping but right then, hearing her sing like that was paradise to his ears. He smiled again and made his way to the kitchen.

Kamal stood by the kitchen door, his arms rested on his chest, he watched for a moment with adoration, his wife working and singing nonchalantly.
"Looks like someone had a goodnight, singing at 2:00am" he teased and Amal turned from the working table to see him.

"Oh my God! I didn't wake you, did I?" Amal giggled as she took a towel and wiped out her hands. She hurried to Kamal.

"With this voice, you can wake the whole city" he said as picked her up.

"Oh I'm sorry" she apologized with a kiss

"Don't be, you didn't wake me up. The alarm did" Kamal said fondling her ear
"It's 2:00am Amal, people are trying to get up for tarawih prayers and you, my wife are singing"

Amal jaw dropped, she gave him a hard eye. Kamal sure knows how to spoil a good moment, how dare him criticize her singing.

"I love your voice though" Kamal added, he wasted no time in perceiving trouble.

"Let me down" Amal said trying to free herself from Kamal, he held on and when she struggled, he let her free. She eyed him again, fiercely and went back to her cooking, she began chopping mercilessly on some vegetables.

"Ahhh" Kamal sighed heavily, he followed her. He leaned on the island table, a safe distance from Amal.
"You know I didn't mean it the way you thought I did" he started.

Amal turned, the knife she was chopping the vegetables still in her hand.
"You didn't?" She asked pointing the knife at Kamal, he recoiled into himself. His back was at the table, there was no where to run, he was trapped.
"Do you know how boring it is to cook without singing?" Amal continued, still pointing the knife at him "No, Kamal you wouldn't know. How would you? You never cook anything in this house"

"Ok" Kamal mumbled "we shouldn't play with knives"

"Who said i'm playing" Amal enquired

"Sorry and I swear I love your voice" Kamal apologized and Amal smiled, she put away the knife.