Swan Song

A few minutes passed before he gathered the strength to call Aunty Salma

A few minutes passed before he gathered the strength to call Aunty Salma. She came immediately.

She met him in the bedroom,
"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un" She cried "oh Kamal.... Amal..."

"She's gone Aunty" Kamal said painfully but calmly. Dr Salma gathered him in her arms but she was the one crying.

She went ahead then and confirmed Amal's death before she and Kamal retired to the sitting room.

"Kamaludeen, are you ok" Aunty Salma muttered. Kamal looked up and their eyes met.

"No Aunty, I'm not" he replied heavily "my wife..." he continued but the words chocked him and he swallowed hard "the love of my life just died"

"I'm so sorry" Aunty Salma said, new tears forming in her eyes. She was trying not to cry again but her heart was heavy: so heavy, it was weighing her down.

"Uhmm" Kamal nodded

"Really Kamal, I'm so sorry that there was nothing else I could do for her"

"I know Aunty" he replied.

Aunty Salma stood now, she took her bag from the adjacent chair and search for her phone
"I will inform everyone" she told Kamal

"No" Kamal interjected.

"What? Why?"

"Not right away Aunty, please" Kamal begged

"Oh! Kamal" Aunty Salma sobbed "She needs to be prepared, she has to go to her resting place. You can't keep her here Kamal"

"I just need an hour, I want to bath and prepare her for the jana'iza myself"

"In that case I will stay with you" she offered. Kamal shouldn't be alone in this circumstance and the fact that he wasn't crying doesn't fill her with hope on his mental health. Amal, Kamal's Amal is gone and Kamal is not all over the place? This can't be good. She can't leave him alone in this, there was no way she was leaving Kamal alone. But Kamal was fast to decline her offer.

"No Aunty" he said sternly.

"I can't possibly leave you alone, Kamal let me help you" Aunty Salma insisted.

"No please, let me be with her. She would want me to do this. Please Aunty, let me"

"Ka....."

"Aunty she is my wife and this is the last decent thing I can do for her" Kamal cut her off word "Oh! Was, she was my wife" he said sadly "was my wife" he repeated, the word 'was' hanging his heart as if with a rope of fire. 'Was' meant not any more and that alone was scary. He felt his heart stopped and his breathing was ceasing: suddenly he remembered, he can't be scared, his heart can't stop now, he can't stop breathing now. If he breaks now, then he can't give his beloved Amal the farewell she deserved, the farewell she would want. He gathered what remained of his critical faculties into function.