Chapter Twenty Six

Amal was already settled in room 17 when Kamal and his aunt entered

Amal was already settled in room 17 when Kamal and his aunt entered. She was still yet to be filled in on what was going on but the look on their faces did not fill her with much hope.

Dr Salma sought out the cushion and sat slowly, Kamal sat besides his wife on the edge of the bed. He looked at Amal and then at his Aunty, beseeching her with his eyes to break the bad news.

Amal sensed the tension in the room, she chose to break the uncomfortable silence
"Aunty?" She endeavored

Dr Salma sighed,
"Amal, the tests shows you are indeed pregnant" she said. Amal smiled slyly, she looked at Kamal and she couldn't distinguish if Kamal was smiling or not, if he was happy with the news or not: she turned a blind eyes at his lack of positive response.

"But Amal" the doctor continued "you know you can't keep the pregnancy, yes?"

"What? Aunty what does that mean" Amal asked, her confusion was unblemished.

"We have discussed this before Amal" She reminded "this pregnancy have to be aborted"

"Abortion?" Amal stood from the bed, she grasp Kamal's hand "Kamal?" She called his name and when she saw the look of renouncement on him, she knew he was thrown overboard: she started to blink back tears
"Kamal, you are not saying anything, we are going to keep our baby right?" she sobbed and Kamal stood, held her to him but Amal didn't want to be held, she resisted: she wanted an answer, she wanted a promise.

"Amal please don't make this harder than it is, you know we can't keep the baby" Kamal pleaded with her but Amal wouldn't hear it.

How could Kamal even stand there and ask her to abort their baby, where was his compassion. She didn't care what this would cost but she refuse to be a party to this: she would not abort her baby, no matter what.

"I will not abort this baby, never" Amal informed them both employing an austere expression.

"Amal" Kamal took a step towards her, she took a step backwards.

"No Kamal. Don't" she dictated with a raise of her hand and Kamal heeded, he stood his position.

"Aunty, I am keeping this pregnancy" Amal concluded and Dr Salma nodded to her.

"Sleep on it my dear and think about the impact on your health" the doctor said and left the room, Kamal followed suit.

"Kamal you have to talk to your wife, what she is trying to do is not safe" Dr Salma told Kamal in her office and Kamal was left to figure out a way to convince his stubborn wife to have an abortion. One thing Kamal knew for sure was: it wasn't going to be easy.

    Kamal returned to room 17 and Amal didn't even raise an eye to acknowledge him.

"Do you want to talk about this now or....." he started but Amal cut him off his breath