Chapter Ten

Umma came out of her room all ready to get going to work when she found Amal on the carpet, clutching to herself, she was crying desperately

She hurried to her and gathered her to her bosom.

"What's so wrong with you, Amal" Umma asked very worried "are you sick?"

Amal kept crying, clinging into Umma
"Should i call Dr Salma? We should go to the hospital" Umma started to grab her bag in search of her phone but Amal held her.

"Oh Umma, I wished i was sick: it would have been more bearable" Amal said between tears "Umma i have lost Kamal"  she burst into new tears.

  Umma knew Kamal had been in the house that morning, what they had discussed, she didn't know. Now she had a clue on what had left her beloved daughter devastated. Kamal.

"What did he do" Umma asked "ok stop crying now and tell me"
Amal took a minute and then she looked at her mother.

"Umma i've never felt before the way I feel about Kamal, its so scary umma. I love him so much i feel I'm loosing myself and now...." her words trailed giving way to more tears.

"Love is a beautiful thing, my darling: why do you despair so" Umma tried to console her.

"I've sent him away, he will never come back to me. What should i do Umma, what am I supposed to do?" Amal asked heartbroken.

"Why do you think he won't come back for you, he loves you"

"He loved me before he saw my scars, now that I've shown him what's left of me: I'm sure he wont be back" Amal was shaking her head regretfully: and then cradling her daughters cheeks in both hands, Umma spoke: and she did with such undemanding grace

"A coward he must be then" she said "not deserving of you nor your love".

Amal raised her eyes to meet Umma's and they shared a bonding smile, a smile only a daughter and a mother could understand.
She held on still to her, she wanted comfort and what better comfort than the arms of her mother.
She felt better.

But Kamal was no coward!

How he drove home, he had no idea. It was still clear though that he had turned the steering wheel back towards Amal's house maybe three or four times and each time he had decided against going back.
He couldn't face her, what could he possibly say to wipe away the pain and hurt he had seen in those beautiful eyes he so much adore.

He shouldn't have left even though she had asked him to. He should have stayed, he should have consoled her or cried with her, he thought.

What was he supposed to do now? Seeing Amal's scars had done nothing to him or how feels about her: yes he was surprised but if anything, he loved her more: and if all her body and soul was covered in scars, it wouldn't matter because he would love her no matter what. His heart will always beat for her, nothing was going to change that.