Welcome Home

The man behind the glass shield slid my belongings through the slot and pointed me to the bathroom.

I smiled and gratefully took them, thanking him before I left. Inside a stall, I shrugged off my prison clothes and sighed as I pulled really fabric over my skin. I'd been in prison for way too long. I had lost so much weight my clothes barely fit. I tightened the loops in my jeans before pulling my boots on.

My striped sweater didn't cover my stomach and I didn't have a jacket. It was autumn now and the prison had been extremely cold lately. I could only imagine it was worse outside.

For the past four months I've been locked in a women's only prison. I can't say it was more friendly than the last prison but it was less eventful. Three months ago, Mullins had cleared my name and Chara had been put on trial and found guilty. I still wasn't sure how I felt about it. Some mornings I woke up with so much guilt I thought I'd drown and other mornings I'd wake up drunk with the excitement of freedom.

The gates opened as two guards escorted me off the prison grounds. Even though it was cold, it was beautiful. The opening gates didn't squeak but instead screamed freedom as I walked towards them. I held my breath, unable to believe I'd walk through without incident. And when I did, I started laughing like a crazy woman until I couldn't breathe.

The guards gave me a doubtful look and shook their heads. I smiled and thanked them, unfazed. They walked back through the gates and left me outside.

I was told someone would be here to pick me up. I frowned when I saw who it was. My parents stood in front of their van. Flowey was on the ground. I gasped at how sick and malnourished he looked.

"Frisk," my mother said, her lip curled back in a snarl though I think she was trying to force a smile.

"Get in the van," my dad said. I glanced over his slick face. I didn't like the violent look in his eyes.

I walked towards them cautiously. My mom opened her arms but I brushed past. Grabbing Flowey's pot, I turned on my heel towards the open road.

"Where are you going?" my mother screeched as I started to walk down the road leading away from here. I didn't reply and kept walking, cool anger guiding my steps. They hollered after me but didn't put in any effort to come stop me.

I nodded to the doubtful guard who sat in a small station. He lifted the roadblock, watching me curiously. I don't know why I didn't ask him to call a taxi. It was late and the sun would set soon.

I had some cash in my pocket from working the laundry station in this prison. It was enough to pay for a night at a hotel and some food.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered to Flowey. His head drooped pitifully.

"I warned you...stupid," he muttered weakly.

"You did," I agreed, "I'm sorry for being stupid."

He drooped lower. "I'm...glad you're okay," he said, practically chocking on each word.

I laughed. "I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of self." He grumbled unhappily. I glanced at him worriedly. "Don't worry, I'll take care you first," I promised.

I kept walking but was getting deeply concerned when no town came into view. The sun was setting and I was shivering horribly. Cold raked up and down my spine, driving my body into a freezing frenzy of movement.

I was just starting to feel hopeless when I heard the deep, threatening rumble of a motorcycle. I sped up, wondering if maybe I could get the driver to pull over and let me make a phone call.