Radio Noise

I woke to the sound of sparking crackles echoing through the prison cells. "Hello? Hello?" a voice coughed through the stereo.

I gasped. "G, G! Wake up," I shook him roughly.

"Huh? What?" he asked gruffly, his 'morning voice' deep and rough.

"The radio," I pointed to the small machine that buzzed with each crackle.

G became instantly became alert. "Hello?" he barked into the walkie-talkie. Jumping off our cot, he began to wake Undyne and Alphys.

"Ahem," the radio shook, "This is detective Mullins."

G looked intentionally at me, beckoning me with a crook of his finger. "Hey Mully boy, Frisk has something to tell ya." I tensed, dreading this moment from the very start.

Alphys and Undyne looked curiously at me.

"Uhmm, okay. Put her on." Mullins sounded tired.

G tossed the radio to me. I looked at the small black box in my hand, wishing I could crush it. If I told....would I be just like her? Chara was still my sister. Still my family. My hands shook uncertainly.

G sensed my hesitation. Teleporting in front of me, he grasped my chin in his hand, forcing me to look at him. "Do it," he ordered, "You owe her nothing."

I sighed, allowing one tear to slip down my cheek before I raised the radio to my lips and asked, "Mullins?"

"Frisk! Are you okay? Over!" he shouted, no longer tired. It was good to know he still cared.

"Chara made a mistake," I said, barely loud enough to hear. G watched me carefully, anticipation in his eyes.

"Go on," Mullins said over the sound of his partner screaming 'this is bull****.'

"The knife...she took off one of her gloves. She didn't notice she'd touched the blade. It's in a pipe." I gave him the street name and as much as I could remember about the spot. "Over."

I guess it really was over.

G nodded.

"I'll check that out immediately. Over." Mullins said. I could practically hear the smile in his voice.

My voice came out weak and small, "Thank you," I said even though I truly didn't mean it. I was breaking the only bond my sister and I had. If that was what it was.

G took the radio out of my hands. "You better," he growled. "We'll open the front doors for ya."

He turned it off before Mullins could answer.

"Let's go guys," he said, circling his finger through the air excitedly.

I hopped down, following after him. Undyne and Alphys caught up to me. "What was that about punk?" Undyne asked accusingly, poking my side.

"I told you," I said shortly, "I was innocent." Then I ran up to G. "Hey."

He touched my cheek. "What are we doing?" I asked.

"You are staying back."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on G, that's not fair."

"No, it'd be not fair to lose ya. And I can't watch out for you in an angry crowd."

"G..." I started.

He reached out and grabbed the back of my neck, drawing me closer. "Please?" he asked softly, so soft I thought he might have broken.

I sighed, touching his hand. He took this as a yes and let go. "So what are you going to do?"

"I'm gonna get us out of here," he said forcefully, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"And just  leave Gaster back there, tied up like that?"

"Yup."

I sighed again. "Will this be bad?" I whispered.

G didn't have to say it. There was a tightness to his walk I'd never seen before. The corners of his mouth turned down in concentration while he stared straight ahead, like he could already see the fight looming in front of us.

Our surroundings became familiar and I recognized it as the place we lost the creature at before. We were getting closer to the door.

We turned a corner and had to pull back. Two burly monsters were guarding a black gate. They hadn't noticed us yet so G pulled me down.

Crouching at a low height, I could barely see the men. Both were tall and muscular but there were no other similarities. The man on the right had white scales so bright my eyes felt like they were looking directly at the sun. His face resembled that of a catfish with long, white whiskers and beady black eyes. The other man looked more like a bird. Randomly coated with patches of blue and yellow feathers and sore pink skin, he was even more strange. He didn't have a beak and if he had a mouth, it was hidden under feathers. The round, blue orbs on his face looked more like plates than eyes.

G took his arm off me, inching further ahead of me. I stayed back, waiting nervously.

When he was farther away from us, he stood up. Terrified, I watched him strut towards the two monsters, his hands spread wide and a cold smirk on his face. "How ya doin' fellas?"

They looked at G curiously, "And you are?" the bird man spoke, his voice high pitched and squawky.

G's hands suddenly lit aflame. "You can go in the closet or you can die. Pick."

"He's only letting them live for her," Undyne muttered behind me. I winced.

The monsters charged G without an answer. Two stark bones as white as the catfish-man grew out of the concrete, one for each, and plunged into the attacking monsters' chests. There was no one else.

Undyne brushed past me and Alphys followed. I took up the rear, sensing she was mad at me.

"You're getting soft G," Undyne accused, scowling angirly.

"Ah, be careful there Fishy, I'll dump your body in the sewers with the rest of the fish."

She hissed, the sound stridulating from under her gills.

I gave G a look but he paid no attention to me. "Now are we going to do this or what?"

Undyne pushed past him roughly, knocking into his shoulder.

I watched his hands light on fire again, ready to turn on her. Rushing forward, I grabbed his hand. Meeting his eyes patiently, I said, "Be better."

He flinched then sighed. "Only for you," he murmured, bringing my hand to his mouth for a small kiss. "Stay here."

"Be careful," I whispered, suddenly aware of tears threatening to drop.

With a short nod, he passed a knife to me and followed Undyne into the dark hall. Alphys looked at me with an unreadable expression.

"Wha..." I started but she shook her head and scuttled off. "Oookay?"

I stepped into the hallway, leaving the gate so that it looked closed but wasn't so it didn't lock into place, abandoning us in here.

The knife in my hand felt cold and foreign, yet some how familiar. It reminded me of Ryan. I told myself then, that after this, I would never hold a knife like this again.

Hiding in the shadows, I waited.