The Girl with Ruby Slippers

I was siting in a Symphony hall next to someone I didn't know. My sister, Sarah, had sent me tickets to her performance that weekend. She had never contacted me, moreover sent me tickets to her live. Ever since I began living on my own, I lost contact with my younger sister. Well, I had lost contact with the older two since they eloped so I guess I lost contact with my only remaining sisters.

Sarah was one of the violinist this time. She was usually given the piano or the flute, but today was a rare change. Today was a rare day indeed. There was the king and queen in the front row. Next to them were dukes and duchesses. I gave up trying to count the number of court ladies, butlers, maids-in-waiting, heirs and heiresses in the audience. 

I sat in one of the inidividual booths that Sarah prepared for me. Usually the king and queen would request a booth, which I found strange as well. Moreover, Sarah had something she wanted to talk to me about. Sarah never has anything to say to me. She always had mother, so why me and why now? I couldn't fathom anything that was going on. And as my thoughts contemplated the complexity of the unforseen issue that I am getting myself into, the stage was ready. Sarah sat in the row of violinists with ruby red slippers.

Ruby Slippers are rare in Dien. There was a legend long ago that I remember reading as a child. A young maiden of no more than twenty bought a pair of ruby red slippers from an old peddler. The girl went to a ball that night and fell in love with a close relative of the king of the time. They were married off and lived in a happy manison together. All was well and peaceful. 

The maiden bore no children. All her siblings were capable of bearing children except her. But she moved on with her head held high. She didn't need children if she had her husband and their wealth. But years later, their wealth began dwindling. As the days went by, the maiden's face began twisting and turning her beauty to something ugly and defiled. The woman went from a beautiful maiden to a horrible looking cranky cobblerwoman. As days went by, the husband began seeing various other woman, adding to the maiden's misfortune. Then one day, he never came back. She was only left with the house. Still keeping the ruby slippers, she cursed the gods and threw her ruby slippers into the stove. The stove boiled and the flames danced with all their might around the house. By the time the neighbors realized the fire, the woman should have been dead. But some claimed that they saw her shadow dancing through the fires cursing all the things that had happened to her. And by the time they found her body, her feet were burnt to ashes. Only her feet and nothing else.

As I finished reminiscing over the story, the audience was already giving an applause. I stumbled onto my feet as I tried to clap with the audience. The Orchestra gave a bow and my sister saw me from my booth and smiled up to me. I felt weird. No one would have imagined that we were siblings. As everyone stood up for intermission, I slumped into my seat thinking what a fool I was for coming. 

The phone in my booth rang. "Hello?"

"Kathy, you actually came! I'm so happy! I didn't think you would make it today."

"What are you talking about? Sarah, why did you call me? Why did it have to be me you wanted to talk to? What about mother?"

"Geez, Kathy. Don't sound so cruel. I can't tell mother this information, and I had a piece of information for you that you may find interesting."

"Information?"

"Yeah! It regards Evelyn and Gina's where abouts."

I bit tongue a little, "Sarah. Why."

"Why? I wanted to know what they were up to and how they lived! I want a happy marriage you know. And seeing you really isn't helping me be convinced about my future."