"For a rest," he responded, stretching out his neck. "Take a group ahead and check the trail for signs of trouble. I know we're deep in the Borderlands, but that doesn't mean Hedric's agents aren't about."

"Sir?" asked the commander. "You're certain? As you said, the Borderlands are not a safe haven for anyone."

Aurthur nodded. "I am. And you must understand, commander, that children and wives are not soldiers. Traveling with them is a challenge often greater than facing an enemy upon the battlefield."

At the assurance, the commander turned his mount in a circle as he motioned to a group of soldiers. "You three," he pointed directly at each man he was ordering to ensure there was no misunderstanding. "Come with me!" The contingent then thundered off down the road on their armored mounts.

Climbing down from his seat, Aurthur held tightly to the sword at his side to keep it from getting caught. Nearly losing his balance upon reaching the ground, he took a moment to regain his feet then reached up and opened the carriage door as if he had not almost fallen.

A woman in a green dress with frills and pearls graciously accepted the assistance of his hand as she climbed down. Behind her, two young girls scrambled out and disappeared behind the coach in a blur.

Aurthur only caught a glimpse of their red hair as it whipped behind them. "Girls!" he called as he heard the two laugh and giggle. "Don't wander off!"

Eliza turned to look in the direction her daughters had gone. "I don't know if it was wise to bring the girls along," she commented.

"They're driving you that crazy?" Aurthur asked.

Eliza scowled, "You know darn well that is not what-"

Aurthur silenced her with a soft touch of his hand on her lips. "You know elven custom. They'd consider it insulting if King Turon's new ambassador did not bring his entire family. Besides, they're six years old. I wasn't even that old when I made my first trip across the sea with my father."

"And if I remember correctly you also caught the nastiest case of Sandrian Flu that had you sick in bed for almost a year." Eliza sighed. "Why did you ever agree to become his new ambassador to the elves?"

"He trusts me, Eliza. And then there's always the legends," he added the last as a gentle reminder.

"From the protected isle will come the Child of the Storm," Eliza echoed the verse from memory. She had been taught it from a young age and as a young lady assigned to the care of the priesthood. "And this child shall rebuild the fallen kingdoms and drive the corrupt sovereign from the hallowed lands." She shook her head. "I still liked it better when you were just his chief military advisor."

"Listen, it's only for a couple days," Aurthur attempted to soothe her concerns. "I would have preferred to sail directly into their ports, I'm not going to deny that. But the blockade is just too tight. The elven leaders have promised us safe passage back to Fimmirra. Once we show them what we've found, and our mission is complete, their ships will engage the Imperial fleet and draw them away while you and the girls skirt through in the night and return home. Eliza, I owe this to your brother. He is the King after all. And he asked me as a friend."

Smiling, Eliza kissed her husband and walked to the front of the carriage. There she smoothed the manes of the horses without another word.

Aurthur knew that she understood the importance of this journey. She may not like it. But she understood.

"Cass! Sheala!" Aurthur called to his daughters.

It took a moment, but soon Cassandra followed quickly by her twin sister, darted around the corner. Cass jumped into his arms, and Aurthur lifted her off the ground with ease. He greeted her with a kiss to her forehead.