nineteen | ginger hair

Eleanor sighed, pulling the cap off her forehead and hanging her apron up next to the drinks machine

Eleanor sighed, pulling the cap off her forehead and hanging her apron up next to the drinks machine. Through the window at the front of the shop, she could see the surrounding darkness outside, the streets only illuminated by the occasional streetlamp or passing car. Each lamp was like a single blaring star hanging in the shadow of night, strung across the endless ceiling as a way of guiding people through the shadows. But they didn't offer much in the form of light, despite it being their purpose, and only illuminated a small section of the pavement below. The rest of the street remained in darkness. The idea of walking alone down those streets seemed terrifying, but she would at least be relieved from that pressure for this evening. She often dreaded walking home in the dark, especially since the warning of her death, and had rejoiced in the offer of a ride home.

She took her coat off one of the hangers and secured it around her shoulders. She was the last one remaining in the store, hands of the clock stretching towards the designated closing hour as she made her way to the front of the building. Where the exit was located. 

The week had come round to Friday once again, bringing with it another scheduled tutoring session between herself and Flynn. However, due to the construction of new bookshelves in the library and a ban of male student's in the girl's dormitories, they had been forced to move elsewhere. Flynn had immediately offered his house as the appointed meeting place. Eleanor, of course, had protested, putting forth the excuse of an extra work shift. However, much to her dismay, he had automatically made the offer of a lift to his house after her shift. And, although being mildly irritated at the time, she now found herself appreciating the gesture.

Eleanor flicked the switch to turn off all of the lights at the front of the shop. However, just as she was about to leave, her eyes caught a flash of light from the back of the store. She had not yet locked the door. The yellow glow caused an exasperated groan to escape her lips, realising that she had left a light on at the very back of the kitchen. Behind the counter. She would have to walk back over to the other side of the store due to the ridiculous system of having half of the light switches down at the other end of the fast food place. How irritating.

Looking out of the window to ensure that Flynn had not yet arrived, she leaned her face against the cool glass. It felt bitter against her skin, the icy cold of the night confined in the material and in turn infecting the warmth of her cheek. It sent a chill down her spine and, after seeing nothing but a cloak of darkness, she immediately pulled away. 

The gleam of the light in the darkness caused the white tiles to almost wink at Eleanor, the golden glow shimmering in the dim lighting as her footsteps echoed on the pristine tile. The whole store was eerily silent, the pure distinction of her resounding footsteps and level breathing making the whole situation even more sinister. And, as her body entered the full beam of the light, she cursed herself for being so damn paranoid. This wasn't something that was new to her. She was often the last one left. She was the person the owner trusted to lock up after ten. It was okay. She was just...being jumpy for no reason. 

Not that she could honestly blame herself, of course. The past few days hadn't exactly been easy. As a matter of fact, she'd hardly spoken a word to anyone. Mainly because she didn't really know what to say to them. The funeral would be soon. The funeral. And they would all expect her to do some kind of heart touching speech. And Thalia's parents would be there. Along with the classmates that never really knew her at all. It was more humorous than tragic, really. Hilariously devastating. Because, upon asking Thalia's parents why they felt the need to invite the whole school, they replied that 'the press would expect their daughter to have a lot of friends'. 

Eleanor had sworn at them.

And had then proceeded to immediately hang up the phone conversation in an incredibly dramatic gesture.

Then she had cried, stuffing her face into the pillow while her beloved cat curled herself into her side, purring away as if the vibrations of her happiness would somehow seep into Eleanor's negative emotions. Not that this was at all probable in the first place, of course, but it certainly didn't work. In fact, it only reminded her of the lack of another person in the room to comfort her, thus leaving her feeling even more sorry for herself. Thalia was gone and no one really cared. Not even her own parents. The people who had taken her in. It was something to be ashamed of. It made Eleanor feel ashamed for not realising how alone Thalia truly was in her own home. Had been. That had made her cry more. She hadn't been prepared for Thalia to leave. But then again, was anyone ever prepared for someone to leave? To just...to just be cut out of existence so easily?

Nate had tried to talk to her. But she ignored him. He reminded her far too much of the good times they had both shared with Thalia. And, besides, as stupid as it sounded, it felt wrong to be friends with anyone else but Thalia. A falsehood to her memory. It felt wrong to even smile without her. It made Eleanor feel guilty for ever being angry at her leaving the first time. She had wasted that time. She should have been praying for her to come home, to be okay. 

She switched off the last light.

The whole store was in darkness.

But Eleanor knew the store well enough by now to make her way around and, as she moved towards the exit, she noticed the little dots of lights leaking in through from the streetlamps outside. She became very much aware of her own movements once more, each step she took bouncing around the tiled floor and walls until they rang in her ears. And, even though her breaths were quiet, they seemed louder. Each inhale of oxygen gave way to an exhale as soon as her breath was seconds away from being held captive. And, when she slipped the keys out of her coat pocket, they made a jingling sound, metal striking against metal as the different keys aligned with one other. The sound made her shoulders tense, for some reason feeling the whole store get a little colder. A chill had wrapped itself around her entire being, a thick blanket of crisp, icy air that had her entire body halting. Looking down towards her feet, she saw that her knees were shaking ever so slightly. The room was definitely colder. And, when she looked up, she saw why.

The door was open.

Eyes wide, she spun around, somehow knowing exactly where to turn and, amidst the veil of darkness, she caught a glimpse of some very familiar looking ginger hair. He was seated in one of the booths at the far wall, feet propped up on the table and arms crossed over his chest in a way that suggested an exceedingly smug expression. But she couldn't do any further follow-ups of her analysis, because the rest of him was shrouded in darkness. But, despite the obvious lack of skill her eyes had at seeing in the dark, she saw his pale, white hand raise into the air and the way the light bounced off his shiny, white teeth as his smile turned into a grin. He was waving at her.

"Hello, Eleanor."

-

Hello everyone! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Don't forget to vote if you liked it and comment what you think! What are your thoughts on the book so far?