Ch. 4

Ryleigh POV

Nancie allows me to stay the rest of the week, but I can tell she is worried. Her typical laid back personality isn't there, and her eyes are clouded with anxiety.

On Friday afternoon after a light lunch out with friends, Nancie approaches me and sits me down on the sofa before taking my hand gently. Something is up and I know it...

"Babe, I love having you, I really really do but we gotta see if we can press charges for what your dad did." Nancie wraps me in a long hug and wipes the tears that suddenly started flowing "okay sweetie?" The fear is so big, too big. I can't do this.

"Nanc I can't. If I go back he'll kill me. I know it. I can't press charges either, he will-.

"Baby look at me." Nancie tips my head upwards, "I'm not gonna have you go back to that house. Ever. But we have go to the police. Alright? Can we at least agree on that?" Nancie's tone says it isn't up for negotiation so I nod slowly and burrow deeper into her chest.

"Don't leave me" I whimper. Holding tightly to her shoulders and trying to control my breathing.

"I won't baby. I won't... Shhh just keep breathing for me... Keep breathing for me..." Nancie kisses my forehead gently, her soft hands brushing my jet black ringlettes away and soothing any inkling of fear.

I shift positions to alleviate some of the aching I feel from what Marcus did. I am so out of it that I don't notice Nancie staring in disbelief and then running to get Scott and Emmy. Scott runs in, fully expecting me to be convulsing or something by the terrified look on his face.

"What happened?" Scott crouches down to me and takes my hand, his face is stricken with worry.

"Your wife saw what Marcus did to me and got scared. I'm okay, really. I'm used to it. The pain doesn't even bother me anymore." I snap, curling inward and jerking my hand away.

"Ryleigh" Emilie sighs sadly, again taking my hand as Scott starts to walk away obviously scared for me.

" You have to go to the police. This is abuse and you know it." Emmy bluntly states, her voice thick with tears as I sit up, trying to reason.

I shake my head, "No, he said he would kill me and my family. I havent even met my family. I want- I need to meet them. I'm not going to the police. I'll just get another job and get my own place, move out and delete their contact. Go off the grid, dye my hair."

"No. You have to go. If you don't go willingly I will drag you in. I can't let them walk knowing what they did. I won't. I'll keep you safe but you have to go. That's the condition."

" Nancieeeeee" I whine, "That's not fair..."

She narrows her eyes and pulls me close again, pleading with me. "You know it's fair. And it is the right thing to do, now come on Ryleigh. Do it for me. Please."

I grumble, "fine. You better stay with me as long as you can."

Emmy ruffles my hair and squeezes my hand "If you're good girl I will treat you to gelato..." Nancie raises her eyebrows and pecks me on the cheek.

I chuckle and stand up, stretching and throwing on my coat.

"Atta girl" Nancie praises, soothingly rubbing circles on my back. "You've got this baby..."
______________________________________

"He pinned me against the wall, unzipped his pants and forced himself inside me."

"Alright. What else?" Detective Helm asked, rather to the point.

"H-He took p-pictures, a-and video... It hurt." My voice is shaking so hard that it takes me twice as long to articulate.

"You're doing so good honey." Nancie whispers in my ear, "I love you"