Ch. 5

The next days were spent anxiously waiting for the results. Tuesday night at 7 o'clock Addison calls me to go over the results.

"Sit down" Addison barks anxiously, her hair probably up in an alarmingly high ponytail that sweeps the back of her neck now and again with her quick turns. I sit quickly and begin picking at my sleeves. The phone is on speaker and despite wringing my hands. "So? What is it?"

Addison sighs deeply, "the girl you had me run your blood against is your daughter."  My head spins. I can't believe she found me. I mean I hoped and prayed that this would be real for so long.

"Amelia?" Addison is still on the other line, "you there?"

"Yeah, yeah Addie I'm here."

"Come over later, I can order takeout and we can talk about meeting her."

"Okay." I croak, "let's do it."

"Okay. See you later, like 7 ish?"

______________________________________

Nancie POV

Ryliegh grabs hold of the door handle sighing and yawning after a long day on campus.

"Hey sweetie" I don't even know how to tell her this, my hands shake as I grip the steering wheel.

" Hey Nancie..." She slides into the passenger seat, setting her bag at her feet.

"You okay sweetie?"

Ryleigh whimpers quietly, "Yeah, I guess so"

"You guess so??" I question "what's wrong sweetie? You can tell me." She sighs, nervously fidgeting with the sleeves of her sweater. "W-When I went home to grab clothes and some stuff I forgot between classes today Marcus was there. He was drunk- H-He"

I lean in to kiss her forehead like I do most days when I can tell something is up, but she jerks away hiding her face in her hands. "Ryleigh Anne, what happened?"

Quickly she brushes the hair behind her ear, careful not to show her cheek. "What are you hiding from me, my love? You know you can tell me, and you know how I hate to see you hiding things from me regarding your health."

Ryleigh relaxes, the tension in her body slightly dissipating at my soft tender touch. "I'm just gonna brush the hair from your face so I can look you in the eyes, then you can lean on me all you want."

Ryleigh nods tearfully "Okay M- Nancie."
Did she almost call me mum? I squeeze her hand gently, sweep her hair from the side of her face and gasp at the large purple bruise that is starting to form before I can help myself.

"My God. What did he do to you babe?" Ryleigh crumbles and falls into my lap, I do my best to comfort her by whispering soft words of reassurance as the tears wash the taint of abuse from her heart. "H-He h-hit me a-and" Ryleigh starts, trying hard to push back the tears " H-He-He hurt me"

"Shhhh.... Breathe. "I soothe, running my fingers through her hair softly. "What do you mean by hurt sweetie? Did he touch you? Assault you? Ryleigh instantly tenses up, crying in my arms as I continue playing with her hair and trying to soothe her anxiety. This works, and after a while I try again. "Babe, you said 'he hurt me', do you mean that he had sex with you?"

She flinches, "it hurt so bad, all I said when he was on me was "stop! It hurts! No! but he didnt listen. I even called out for you, all that got me was this bruise." I squeeze her gently before examining the gash further, "he isnt laying another finger on you my love. I promise. I gotta get that gash cleaned out though, can you be brave?"

"N-No!" Ryleigh protests," you can't make me do it. I-I won't let you!" I am genuinely surprised by her outburst "Sweetie you have to." I start the car again "if I don't do it then whoever is in the ER will. Pick one and I'll be there the whole time."