Rakan: Nothing Rhymes with Tubebow

"Two paths lead to the monastery fortress from the villages below it," Xayah begins.

I follow her eyes and see a pair of golden stairways that stretch down from the mountain temple to the farmhouses below. Each wood-woven home probably has a whole family inside it. There, mortals are born, die, and—most importantly—create new songs.

Probably with harps and drums. Maybe flutes? I should make a reed flute later. First, I need to fluff my cloak. Did I remember to clean my feathers? The town below must have an inn. A bottle of wine would be great right now.

 A bottle of wine would be great right now

"Rakan..." Xayah says.

Crap. She was telling me the plan. I focus back on her face, on her crooked smile. The sunset's last rays reflect in her eyes. I love her eyelashes. I want to—

"Repeat it back to me."

Something in the monastery. She was... Uh...

"I rendezvous with you at..." I say, but I've already lost the thread. I pull at one of the feathers on my head, hoping to pluck the idea from it.

A tiny shimmer of light glistens from her scrumptious bottom lip. Are her lips purple today? They were violet yesterday.

"They will kill me if they catch me," she says.

The shock of the thought takes my breath. I feel my face twist into a snarl. "Who?!" I demand.

"The guards," she replies. "It's always guards."

"Then I'll distract them! When?"

She points to the sky. "Look for a green flash before the sun sets. Then draw the guards away from the western walls while I run along the ramparts to the cells."

"I put on a show the moment the sun sets," I say. "Where do we meet?"

"At the gate. I'll throw a golden blade into the sky. But you have to be there in ten breaths," Xayah says, plucking a feather from my cloak.

"I will be at that gate the moment you throw the blade," I say. Nothing in my life is more certain than that.

"I know."

She nods, and begins telling me the safest path to take. She plans things, which is why I know she will be okay. Wow, the sky is gorgeous right now. That cloud is shaped like an eggplant. I saw a dog once...

I do not like these steps. I do not like them. The gold leaf covering the stone is almost the same color as my feathers. It's infuriating. I consider changing their hue, but it would take some magic. Damn, I can't be tired when she needs me. Xayah probably sent me this way knowing my plumage would blend in here. A red cape would look better against these steps. Maybe indigo? What's around this corner?

More steps. Only humans would cut stone into flat shapes to make a mountain boring! I should climb the cliff. Xayah said to take the steps... I'm pretty sure.

I pick up some pebbles and begin to juggle them. I hear the magic writhing north of me, within the twisting roots of the Lhradi Forest.

The forest's song finds its way into my head, and I begin to sing it.

"What was that?" a voice echoes from above.

An entry way! A human guard appears. His clothing is dark as shadow.

"Who are you?" he demands.

"I am Rakan!" I reply. How can anyone not know that?